Wired and Wireless Combo

All,

Ive read a lot of discussion on this about wireless v wired burglar alarms but I think I need a combination of the 2. I dont seem to be able to find a system that quite matches my requirements. I will be fitting the alarm myself so it needs to be relatively simple, though Im not a complete numpty.

My home is new build so it has the cabling in place for 4 PIR's, there is a blanking plate in the hall for a key pad, a blanking plate in a cupboard where I suppose the main controller goes, there is also a cable going to an outside wall for the bell. Now typically this would be quite a simple installation I imagine, however, I also have a garage which is detached from the house which I would also like to be alarmed from the same unit. What Im looking for I suppose is a system that I can use wired for the wired PIR's in the house, but also use a wireless connection to whatever is in the garage. The thing is, I would want the wireless connection to the main unit to come from a mains powered PIR (or door sensor) rather than a battery powered one since I dont want to be changing batteries all the time. The garage is only a few feet from the house.

The other thing is that its a double garage so would you recommend door sensors or just a PIR, or more than 1 PIR? I'd also like that sensor to be able to chime when its activated.

And finally (news at ten moment) how difficult / complex is it to get the alarm to phone you when it goes off?

I know that Im asking for the moon on a stick here, but I dont want to buy a half way solution thats not what I want. What can you recommend anything for all of this?

Thanks

Rod

Reply to
Rod Makin
Loading thread data ...

Personnaly I would go for a Galaxy Alarm system from Honeywell. Possibly a

18 or 60 unit, would more than suffice. Get a wireless RIO, and place that in the house closest to the Garage, and then get the wireless devices and install them in the garage. I have to admit though, when it comes to Galaxy, I have a soft spot for it, I think its the best by far, although I haven't used their wireless gear. Everything you'll need the panel to do for your home would be easily achievable with this panel. Check ebay for some gear.
Reply to
SantaUK

HI Whilst I agree with SantaUK Ademco are very tight when it comes to supplying Joe Public.Try a Risco group (Gardtec) system they do an 8 zone remote panel with built in autodialler that will take an add on 8 zone radio reciever .Whilst the radio units are battery they have Lithium batteries and have a 3 year life.Plus battery monitoring is built into the system. They had an offer on for Jan 08 Panel ,keypad,battery,6 radio devices, radio fob/PA and a fused spur and backbox for around £300.00. Have fitted 20+ similar systems over past 4mths and all worked first time (and still do).

whilst this offer is not on their web page some of the gear is see what you think.

formatting link
HTH CJ

Reply to
cj

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.