Up in An Attic In August in Yuma Arizona

e worked in the far south, where the attics in the sum mer are at about 140 deg+ w/no ventilation fans, nor r idge-vents, and you only allow yourself 5-8 min at mos t. One such journey, was in an attic with scissor-trus ses that allow a cathedral ceiling in the room below. There was at most a 24" clearance at the peak, by abou t 30" wide in a triangular space (not square truss acc ess), but I had to get to the other side of the house for wiring. As I crawled thru, I noticed a carpenter a nt nest in the batt insulation where I needed to pass. I figured I could go over them with 4-5 inches cleara nce and did so successfully. After I finished my wirin g, I had to go back thru the same pathway. Well, by th en, my vibrations after having gone over them the 1st time, had seriously agitated them. By now, my breathin g was labored and it is afternoon hot-sun time, and I have to get out since I have spent my precious time sl ot away. Somehow, I was able to slowly crawl with only my hands and toes on the rafters, while there was by now about a hundred or so of them in an agitated 'bite

-him-now' mood. I did make it to cooler pastures and n ever dared to do that again. If they had gotten to me, I probably would have just jumped thru the drywall ce iling and told the customer that the ants overpowered me. Enjoy.

Welcome to the neighb orhood Hogan,

Minus the Carpenter Ants I would have showed up early in the morning to beat the heat. Gl ad you made it out to tell the story.

The only thin g I can relate to with Carpenter Ants is that a number of years ago we had some heavy winds in our area. A tree behind my house snapped off at about 35 feet up . Hit the back of the house, ripped the spouting, si ding off and missed the sliding glass door. Very luck y, insurance fixed it all. Upon inspection there was a hole where there use to be a limb and the inside of the tree was a chamber of thin walls. The white or soft portion of the rings (cambium) of the tree had b een eaten out by Carpenter Ants. This was a section of about 6 feet in length of a tree that was easily

18" to 20" in diameter and 70 feet tall. I dropped t he rest of the tree down and killed a lot of ants.

About 2 years later I was in my basement and notice a Carpenter Ant going across the floor and up the wall. It disappeared in the fiberglass insulation between the floor joist. I thought I would check the insul ation batting and got my step stool. I pulled the sec tion down and that is when I was covered in 1000++ AN TS. After screaming like a banshee and brushing as m any off as I could I got the can of Raid and used up a full can killing the suckers. Ended up sweeping and shoveling up the piles until all were gone. The nex t day we fumigated the house with about 4 bombs. And then again in about a month.

Haven't see another s ince. That was about 34 years ago and I remember it very well. Very horrible feeling. What I suspected i s that when the tree snapped off somehow the Queen fo und refuse in my house and just what came naturally, and that was to lay eggs and more eggs. Never saw any damage to any wood in the house flooring or framing. They must have gone outside to my other trees to fee d.

BTW I did not get any bites from the ants. Mayb e I didn't give them a chance to put up their defense s.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1
Loading thread data ...

bout 140 deg+ w/no ventilation fans, nor ridge-vents, and you only allow yo urself 5-8 min at most. One such journey, was in an attic with scissor-trus ses that allow a cathedral ceiling in the room below. There was at most a 2

4" clearance at the peak, by about 30" wide in a triangular space (not squa re truss access), but I had to get to the other side of the house for wirin g. As I crawled thru, I noticed a carpenter ant nest in the batt insulation where I needed to pass. I figured I could go over them with 4-5 inches cle arance and did so successfully. After I finished my wiring, I had to go bac k thru the same pathway. Well, by then, my vibrations after having gone ove r them the 1st time, had seriously agitated them. By now, my breathing was labored and it is afternoon hot-sun time, and I have to get out since I hav e spent my precious time slot away. Somehow, I was able to slowly crawl wit h only my hands and toes on the rafters, while there was by now about a hun dred or so of them in an agitated 'bite-him-now' mood. I did make it to coo ler pastures and never dared to do that again. If they had gotten to me, I probably would have just jumped thru the drywall ceiling and told the custo mer that the ants overpowered me. Enjoy.

I'm sure you've had others tell you that you're "distasteful" also. (zing) ~:-)

A few times I've had carpenter ant problems too. Don't be too sure they did n't do any damage. Maybe not enough to cause structural damage but you can bet that if you opened the drywall in that area you'd, at the minimum, see gouged out "trails" in the wall studs. On jobs, I've even seen them leave t rails in the drywall. Might even find some of their little carpenter tools they left behind.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Well, you got into the scary things already. I was always worried I'd run up against a rattler in close quarters crawling under a mobile home, but the closest I got was under a mobile office building. I scuttled up under to grab a wire dropped down through the floor, and after getting ahold of it I turned my head to look back the way I came and found I was nose to eyeballs with a giant mouth full of teeth. Turned out to be a dead coyote. He (or she I guess) had died under there many years gone by. Not much left but a skull and lots and lots of teeth. At half a foot from my face it was pretty scary though. When I got back topside the folks in the office asked me, "What was that thump?" LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Bob,

LOL I can visualize the goose egg on your head......... Should have got the sucker mounted with plaque that said something like: "You should have seen the other guy!!!"

Reply to
ABLE1

was good

Holy Crap!!! Here I am thinking a squirrel or racoon is bad.

That reminds me of an old Peanuts cartoon I remember from long ago.

Charlie, Linus, Lucy and Schroeder are lying on a hill looking up at the cl ouds. . Schroeder says "I see, Hannibal crossing the mountains on elephants". Linus says "I see Jesus giving the sermon on the mount". Lucy says "I see the Co liseum in Rome" "What do you see Charlie Brown? . Charlie Brown says . "Well ?.. I was going to say I see a horsey and a ducky, but I thin k I changed my mind"

Reply to
Jim Davis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.