Pull Station Listing Question

Does anyone know if pull stations are required to be listed (U.L. or otherwise) to specific fire alarm control panel models or manufacturers in the way a smoke detector or a horn strobe unit would be? Case in point - when replacing an outdated control panel, is there any reason or requirement to replace the pull stations or does that not matter since all they are is essentially a dry pair of contacts? If it is required would you also be able to point out who it is required by (i.e. NFPA, manufacturer etc.).

Thanks

Reply to
craigslistanonymoususer
Loading thread data ...

dry pair of contacts?

Not all pull stations are just dry contacts. Depends on the manufacturer. Depends on the AHJ as to the style that is approved and how much legacy gear that is accepted; like single action type versus double action etc. In most cases legacy pulls will at least be mounted at the wrong height, and most likely in the wrong location. Do you clip coupons and count sheets of toilet paper too? Are you too tight to just accept installing new gear?

Reply to
Just Looking

sounds like a job for bAssman.

Reply to
Rick

Unless the pull stations are designed to be used with a specific panel or manufacturer i.e. the addressible models, there is no requirement, to my knowledge, that ordinary pull stations with plain old NO switches be listed for a specific panel. The AHJ may have certain requirements as to whether you need to upgrade the existing units, I don't know about NFPA. js

Reply to
Buggs

manufacturers in the way a smoke detector or a horn strobe unit would be? Case in point - when replacing an outdated control panel, is there any reason or requirement to replace the pull stations or does that not matter since all they are is essentially a dry pair of contacts? If it is required would you also be able to point out who it is required by (i.e. NFPA, manufacturer etc.).

No. They do need to be listed for use in a fire alarm system but they don't have to be listed for any specific control panel. It's the same as with 4-wire smoke detectors.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

To add to the comments already made to this thread, the only stumbling block we encounter on panel upgrades is to ensure all the pull stations are of the same type (i.e. single action or double action). Personally I like the Edwards 270SPO. They're rugged units and will probably outlast the building they're installed in (although a bit on the pricey side).

In Canada, on systems with addressable pull stations they have to be of the same manufacture as the common control. In other words, you can't put a Mircom addressable pull on a Notifier panel (even though both units are made by System Sensor). The ULC labels have to match for compatibility.

Reply to
Frank Olson

And you can't buy Notifier unless you're a Notifier dealer.

Reply to
Roland More

Same with Mircom panels (I think) though their telephone intercoms are sold through distribution. We've sold a fair number of Mircom telephone access units. Our distributors don't carry the fire panels though.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.