Newbie questions

There's one thing about your post that no one has addressed ..... and that is your intention to arm your system only when you are not home.

One question I always ask prospective clients when they suggest that is .... If you had to choose a time .... to arm your system and you could only choose one. Would you choose a time when you and your family were home or when no one was home? (Hint) When are the most valuable things that you have ....... there.? ie. Possessions can be replaced.

I'd suggest that you try to watch that new program on TV. "It takes a thief" Gives you somewhat of an idea of what it's like and how a burglary is accomplished.

Reply to
Jim
Loading thread data ...

Even though my primary concern is burglary while nobody's home, however, I suspect that once I learn more about the system, I may arm it at night. That's how they show burglaries happening in many movies. I guess that means you can arm the window/door sensors without arming the motion detector (which is more likely to get false trigger if the owner got up at night and forgot about it and tried to go downstairs and get something to drink)?

Reply to
seafh

Ever drive around LA? Pretty much every house in various neighbourhoods opts for physical security.

Reply to
Pat Coghlan

he could build a concrete block wall all the way around the perimeter of his yard like the do in Mexico. Then embed broken glass in the top of the wall incase someone tries to climb over. Now that's secuity.

Reply to
Frank

Good security addresses all the issues. An alarm system, plentiful lighting, dead bolts, security bars on doors and windows, cut back bushes and trees, nosy neighbors, and as a last resort, being well armed. My alarm makes plenty of noise in an attempt to scare off an intruder. It would take the law 45 minutes to get here so there isn't much point to a silent alarm. By the time they arrived, it would be all over. The thief would either be gone or would be dead.

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

It's frequently called "Stay Arming". Most modern security controls employ a feature that allows you to selectively arm zones of protection. The "cheaper" wireless systems installed frequently as a "home security package" incorporates one or two door sensors and a motion. That works well for an apartment (where you may only have a single access point from the hallway, but doesn't transfer well to a single family dwelling where you may have multiple main and basement level openings. Security for your family should incorporate a full perimeter system (where all the doors and windows are protected) and fire detection. Consider spending about $1500 to $2500 to achieve this (in a modestly sized house). An additional $300.00 if you wish to incorporate another method of communicating alarms that doesn't involve standard telephone lines (which you indicated was a concern). Your family's worth it. Feel free to visit my FAQ's page at

formatting link
where you'll find answers to a number of your questions (it's strictly an information site).

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

Hmmmm a rather cheap shot.

But .... on the other hand if YOU attach so much importance to not paying $18.00 per month,compared to what a monitored account receives in return, I obviously have no choice but to defer to your expertise on being cheap.

Reply to
Jim

I don't think anyone suggested that an alarm system was the only way to obtain peace of mind involving security of their home. However, living with bars on my doors and windows is not my idea of living. If they can live that why .... good for them. Those that can't ......... they live someplace else.

And although I've been to LA, once seeing it, I would never return. One of the more disappointing trips I ever made. Garbage pit the same a New York City, only with short buildings and an occasional drooping palm tree.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.