Help with Notifier AFP400 and 3 xp transponders

Any Notifier experts here? I need to know what the right 2 led's on the power supply are. The pannel is an AFP 400 and the power supply is on an XP Transponder. I think the LED's are + and - ground fault they are LEDs 4 and

1. I have an intermitant trouble on this transponder that shows short circuit. What would the system be monitoring for a short circuit? I have tested all the horn loops out of the transponder and cannot find a short "positive to negative".

Also it shows an invalid reply on a different transponder, when I reset the panel the transponder will work for about 5 minutes then it goes back to trouble with an invalid reply. During the panel reset the LED's on the transponder lite up so I am fairly sure the thing is talking with the panel. What would cause an invalid reply? On the addressable loop that goes to this transponder I have noticed the shield is not grounded. When I tried to ground the shield, every device on the loop gave me an invalid reply trouble. I measured the shield to the other loop wires but dont show any kind of short. Any Ideas?

James B Denco Security Inc.

Reply to
J Barnes
Loading thread data ...

There are two different power supplies you can use for this transponder. The MPS-24A and the MPS-24B. On the 24A (probably the one you have), the two LED's on the far right are ground fault indicators. From what you describe, the power supply is faulty.

And by the way, the LED configuration should be indicated on the battery dress panel (the dead front cover that fits over this section of the cabinet). If it's not there, the UL Listing for the panel may be compromised as well as the safety of anyone operating the panel.

Typically you only connect the shield at the common control and not at the transponders. If this is the only unit in the system that is transmitting an invalid reply, then I would suggest the XPP (Transponder Processor Module) may be faulty. Check your wiring first though. Voltage across the SLC loop should be the same as the other units on line.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Frank,

Thank you for the reply, the information you gave was helpful. The power supply problem is fixed :)

This problem with the invalid reply is strange. Today I installed a new XPP1 module but the problem is still there. This sugests to me it is a wiring problem however I have the same voltage on the loop as the working transponder. The other thing is the working transponder is only about 20 feet from the non working one. They are both programmed on the 2nd addressable loop. The only thing im not sure of is where the wire goes before it gets to the other transponder. I think ill try running a temporary wire from the non working unit to the working unit and see where that gets me.

The shields on both addressable loops are not grounded at any device, including the main control. When I grounded #2 at the main control all the devices on that loop gave me an invalid reply. When I grounded the shield for loop #1 only one of the devices on that loop gave me an invalid reply. I think their may be a wire problem on these loops, but I cant find it with a meter. I tested for shorts from the shield to + and - on the loop but none show up. Do you have any other ideas to find this problem? Or am I faced with pulling every device on the loop to make sure the shield is spliced together and not shorting to any equipment.

James

Reply to
J Barnes

Excellent!

That would be my next suggestion.

There is a "shield terminal". This isn't part of the system ground (that I know of), however... grounding the shield shouldn't result in invalid responses and if one of the wires was "skinned" you'd wind up with a ground fault.

That's a "toughie". In most jobs I've been involved in servicing (where we didn't do the installation), trying to find all the JB's that the original electrician installed is next to impossible. If you can solve the invalid response problem by running a temporary connection between the two transponders then you're a lot further ahead and the best solution (from your customer's standpoint) may simply involve installing a new loop between them.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.