Notifier Panel

I posted about the job where I am swapping out Notifier devices for Firelite devices and the other day I changed the panels.

As I was removing the old Notifier panel I notice that the hot and neutral wires had been reversed on the 110 terminals.

Would this:

a) Have no effect

b) Toasted the panel

c) Messed it up, but putting them right again would clear everything up.

Just curious...

Reply to
JoeRaisin
Loading thread data ...

Should have no effect your feeding a transformer which technically does not have a hot and neutral.

Reply to
NickMark

have a hot and neutral.

That was my first thinking, but then I thought that the terminals must be marked for a reason. But mainly I thought that it would be funny if it turned out the problem that precipitated the change out of a panel and 100 devices could have been fixed by switching two wires...

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Joe, had you been getting Ground Fault troubles? If not then no problem with the crossed power feed.. RTS

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

ite devices and the other day I changed the panels. As I was removing the o= ld Notifier panel I notice that the hot and neutral wires had been reversed= on the 110 terminals. Would this: a) Have no effect b) Toasted the panel c= ) Messed it up, but putting them right again would clear everything up. Jus= t curious...

Was the panel earth grounded? It may have presented a shock hazzard if the = earth ground were removed but that's all I can think of.

Reply to
Jim

I thought they were cross-compatible? Or is it Firelite are compatible with Notifire?

Should have no effect, unless as others have said about a ground fault.

Reply to
G. Morgan

The company we are subbing for uses re-branded Notifier and Firelite panels they call, "Unimode". As far as I can tell, Unimode's used to be Notifiers but are now Firelite. Or something... No one I've asked seems to know. They still get the Notifier devices, for backwards compatibility, but all new panels are, apparently, Firelite. The devices look the same and even connect the same but unless they are the same brand as the panel, they won't talk.

Bit me in the ass one time, early on, before I knew about the issue. They sent to an auto parts store with a Firelite panel & smokes but Notifier pull stations. I didn't know then to watch out for the "N" stuck in the middle of the part number - which is the only way to tell. I was going nuts trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with my SLC. I finally called tech assist - in this case being our ops guy (who used to work for this particular company) and his first question was if there was an "N" in the part number.

I like the Firelite stuff. They seem to be dependable panels, programming is easy, though PS2 keyboards are getting harder to find.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

I don't do a lot of fire. Mostly just panels to monitor sprinklers. I use mostly SK or FW for those. I have done a few Class A and Class B systems that were a "little" more involved. I had a Firelite bite me in the ass and cost me a customer because it was NOT truly CID compatible. In fact it had issues and would even lock up periodically if not reporting to a specific brand of receiver. By the time I figured out I could fix all my problems (that Firelite knew about, but never told me) by just converting it to a pulse format the bridge was burnt with the customer. I found and fixed the problem (sorta) just in time to turn it over to another company who no doubt looks sterling since they never had any of the problem I had. Anyway, because Firelite knew about the problem and let me languish for months trying to figure it out I swore that if there was an alternative product available I wouldn't use a Firelite product. Kinda like DSC now that I think about it...

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Thanks for the heads up. So far, I've only put in the Firelite stuff on subbed out jobs for companies who have been using Firelite for a while - obviously any reporting bugs have been worked out.

But we are getting our own work more and more now and have a deal with a monitoring center - just resi and commercial burg to this point. I'll make the boss aware of the reporting problems and he can look into them, or set up a test, before it turns into me standing in front of the customer with my thumb up my ass...

Reply to
JoeRaisin

What panel was that? An MS-9200 works fine with CID.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I'ld have to look, but I am sure they must have fixed it with a later release. The thing is they could have just told me. I would have switched it to pulse and been done. Might still have the customer too.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.