Got a Job Interview - Anyone heard of 'em?

For myself, I would rather be poor than be faced with a lot of stress! (I avoid stress if possible.) So good choice in my book!

Reply to
Bill
Loading thread data ...

Yeh, I know what you mean. That's not a unique experience. It's scary as hell, especially when you've got a wife, kids and a mortgage.

Well, that's another story, everyone has their own level. I guess with me, it made me .... more determined than ever that I wasn't going to fail. i don't know, but I seem to remember being agitated alot. (Just reminded me that I have to thank my wife for hanging in there during that time ;-)

Yes, after all is said and done, everyone seeks to do what they like to do.

I don't know if you have any interest or knowledge in home audio video flat screen TV hookup and small home theater but if you do, that's a very popular niche around here now. That would be something that you could try to do on the side so that on those "off" days, you would have some fill-in income. It's the kind of work you can do after hours, in the evening and on weekends. It doesn't take that long to do ...... wire in a couple of rear speakers, mount and hook up a TV. And people will pay up to $65.00 an hour around here (New York area) For somebody doing it on the side..... $45 an hour. I would stay away from offering a flat fee cause you never know what you're going to run into.

The key word is sober. Good work. And ya gotta do .... what ya gotta do.

Even though I own my own company, I can appriciate what you're saying.

I never had anyone in my family who owned their own business. So I was brought up to think that I had to go to school and learn how to work for someone else. So, that's what I did.

I worked for someone else, and would always wind up being at odds with the way my employer wanted me to do things. I thought I had better ideas and when "allowed", could make them work to my and my employers advantage. Whenever a project needed it, I would volunteer and spend extra hours of my own time, if necessary. I'd take work home with me. Always striving to get to the next step. I could never relate to the work ethic that most of the people that I worked with had, because they didn't have the same dedication that I had to doing a good job. I thought most/many of them were phony because they'd talk the talk when the boss wasn't around but when it got right down to bumping heads about an idea, they'd back down and wouldn't ever go out on a limb and try to do something else.

I had no idea that the attributes I had were exactly what one needs to run a business. I just thought all the other guys just didn't have the balls to stand up for what they thought. In other words, it wasn't until I finally found out that " I " was the guy who didn't belong there, in other words .... " I " was the "phony and I finally discovered that the things that caused me problems while working for someone where just the attributes that one needed to run a business.

So that's why I understand what you're saying. AND... If it wasn't for guys like you, who would we hire..... anyway??? I guess you could say, .... If I could do what you can do, I'd be doing it. and vice versa. Right?

Good luck. Hope it turns out. But whatever it turns out to be, do your absolute best at the job and don't let the "system" at the job bring you down to the level of the least common denominator. There's always one or a few people who want you to do average or below average work so that you don't show them up for what they really are. You've really got to give it time but over the long run, doing your best puts you first in line to be noticed, promoted and given more money...... and if it doesn't .... it's a strong indicator that it's time to move on.

Give em hell !!!!!!!!

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.