DSC GSM Radio back ups

The other day I had the Tech support person for Connect 24 tell me the reason a radio had stopped sending alarms because it had sent over 25kb of data in one month and had gone over the service rate plan.

Has anyone else had a GSM radio just get bumped off the network for too much traffic?

Tells me have to go on Connect 24 web site and agree to new terms and conditions that have been changed.

I call that good customer service.

And 25kb is that like 25 signals?...anyone know?

The sad thing is this unit is a primary with no landline back up...who would have been liable for a B&E and no dispatch?

Reply to
George Siegle
Loading thread data ...

It's a hell of a lot more that 25 signals.

16 bytes for CID format transmitted twice is 32 bytes 32 x 8 = 256 bits 25kb / 256b = 97.6 signals/mo.

Communication Protocol:

18 SSSS QXYZ GG CCC K 18 = Uniquely identifies this format to the receiver and to an automation system, but not displayed on the printer SSSS = 4 digit Subscriber ID Q = Event qualifier, which gives specific event information E = 1 New event or opening R = 3 New restore or closing P = 6 Previous event YXZ = Event code (3 Hex digits) GG = Group number (physical or logical, 2 Hex digits) CCC = Zone or sensor number(3Hex digits, event reports) or user number (Open/close report) Note: The GG and CCC fields can contain 0 for a null (no information) field.
Reply to
G. Morgan

And I'm sure there are overhead checksum bits, I wonder if those are counted?

Reply to
G. Morgan

After my past experience with Connect 24, I would not permit them to sell me chewing gum, let alone monitor my alarm accounts.

Reply to
alarman

me chewing gum, let alone monitor my alarm accounts.

Just one more reason for me to not use their (so called, backup) radios, nor have to deal with techs that you have to drag the truth out of .... nor try to read their multi photo-copied 2 page installation instructions that don't tell you anything.

Reply to
Jim

Small problem with your calculations Einstein, the cell doesn't actually send CID, it captures CID from the panel, encodes it into another data format and sends it to the SurGard IP card that translates it back to CID.

Reply to
mleuck

Great, so what's your theory on the amount of data x-mitted?

Reply to
G. Morgan

No theory, I just know you are wrong on how it works in fact NO popular cell backup works that way

Reply to
mleuck

Data is data. I was giving him an argument to use against the backup provider. So even if the data is encapsulated in a different format, the rest is overhead he should not have to pay for.

Reply to
G. Morgan

No when he signs up for the service he should have to pay for any data used regardless if it is overhead or not.

Reply to
mleuck

And if that thing sends 25kb in a month for only 25 signals, that's okay?

Bullshit.

Reply to
G. Morgan

If that is the plan he signed then yes, do you not understand how service plans work?

Reply to
mleuck

Sure, they are one-sided with the advantage always going to Mega-Corp.

For all we know that thing is sending bullshit diagnostics/updates and other non-alarm related stuff. I would want to see a breakdown of the data allegedly x-mitted, and separate the garbage from the actual signals.

Reply to
G. Morgan

And yet he still signed up, next time read the contract

Or he could have been sending opening/closings, daily test signals etc

Reply to
mleuck

Thats why I like Uplink and its flat rate may not do cid simple general burg or fiire but no cut offs or overages etc. like tellular and others.

Reply to
nick markowitz

It sounds like you are using AnyNet, why not the new 2550?

Reply to
mleuck

The 2550 works great with both SIA and CID

Reply to
mleuck

RHC: Yeah, I've just been talking to Uplink as well as my local wholesaler and I plan to install an Uplink 2530 unit next week for a client who has no phone line. The monthly rate for transmission is identical to any of the other digital Uplink units I have in service and it needs nothing special in the way of receivers at the monitoring station. If this unit works as advertised, it's a relatively inexpensive way to get around all the VoIP bull**it (assuming those cheapshit customers will pay for it of course...which they likely won't)

But for anyone serious about their alarm transmission security to the station, this looks GOOD. I'll post later next week how it goes.....

Reply to
tourman

I just ordered a 2530 should have it Monday/Tuesday....apparently Uplink did not do a very good job of promoting it to distrib. OR letting their tech support know that it doesn't need a 2 amp pwr supply. Their documentation isn't even finished yet - they sent me a red-lined copy of the install sheet.

Supposedly it pulls 600ma max (verbally) but if you look at the docs it says

250ma on transmission...soooo...what does that mean? Dunno, they gave me some double-speak dribble about 3 volts conversion from 12volt supply...have no idea what they mean. But since a Vista 15 has 600ma and only running 1 kp ought to be ok if you power from the battery charging circuit....or maybe even the keypad buss power. I can hardly wait to blow one up.
Reply to
Crash Gordon

m...

RHC: I guess with so much uncertaintly, it will probably be best to put in an auxiliary power supply and back up battery, like the older Uplink units, just to be safe.

Reply to
tourman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.