Dog Door Security - Please Help

Check to see what's on the *inside* of the wall you're thinking of mounting your Optex VX-402R. Is there another hard-wired PIR in the vicinity?? How about an electrical outlet?? You mentioned that you had no power where you were thinking of mounting the sensor. Have another "look-see" and determine whether-or-not you can obtain the coverage you need if you moved it closer to an adjacent interior device or outlet. Don't limit your "vision" to just the lower floor either. If there's something on the second floor you can exploit, go for it.

Personally, I would secure your pet door for the evening (and contact it so that when you arm your system, you're arming the door). IMO that would be better than using a motion detector which will pick up all sorts of extraneous movement (like bushes and trees blowing in the wind, other animals, or even people). Keep the protection *on the door* and you'll have far less headaches (and probably sleep better too).

The alternative is to simply contact the pet door using your 5816 and have it beep, chime, or turn on the lights (instead of the motion detector). I guarantee that you'll opt to secure the door after a few "incidents" and you won't be out the price of the Optex unit if you decide to "scrap" that idea.

Reply to
Frank Olson
Loading thread data ...

Nope. You'll need a stand alone prox reader with contact closures so you can bypass the door contact. That means you'll have to power the reader from somewhere. Of course, if the perp shoots the dog (or uses a quieter method to incapicitate the animal) and decides to put the collar on himself, you're facing the situation that Jim alluded to... The perp (complete with dog collar) standing over your bed...

Reply to
Frank Olson

Your doggie door didn't come with the aluminum slide that you use to close it when not in use? That's what I usually contact...not the moving flapper door.

| > Personally, I would secure your pet door for the evening (and contact it so | > that when you arm your system, you're arming the door). IMO that would be | > better than using a motion detector which will pick up all sorts of | > extraneous movement (like bushes and trees blowing in the wind, other | > animals, or even people). Keep the protection *on the door* and you'll have | > far less headaches (and probably sleep better too). | >

| > The alternative is to simply contact the pet door using your 5816 and have | > it beep, chime, or turn on the lights (instead of the motion detector). I | > guarantee that you'll opt to secure the door after a few "incidents" and you | > won't be out the price of the Optex unit if you decide to "scrap" that idea. | | I just realized that contacting the door is out anyhow because during | the winter months the wind can really pick up and blow the door flap | open and shut. | | I just read the description of the Optex outdoor motion sensor. It | seems like it might have reasonable immunity to trees in the wind. It | emits one beam horizontally and another down toward the ground... A | person of normal height who passes by will break both beams and set it | off, however a dog will only break the lower beam and not set it off. | It seems unlikely that my trees and bushes are going to be breaking | both beams. However I guess if plants low to the ground are swaying | and trees higher up are also swaying, that could do it. | | Hmm. |

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

and certainly not an inexpensive one...extended range prox reader, implanted prox chip, power, wiring, relay, door strike.....personally...the dog would have to hold on until the morning when I opened the door for him.

| > >

| >

| > Okay I'll bite. Theoretically, the same RFID chips that are available | > to tag pets could be used as a credential to shunt a contact/ open a | > door. These tags can be implanted. Ethically, this type of | > technology is a nasty slippery slope. | | Ethically for a dog? Naaa although it does seem like a lot of trouble | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

Actually, building a kennel around the area accessed by the dog door is an option. If it were wrought iron with a locking gate, this could offer the security I need...

Reply to
briansgooglegroupemail

Hmm someone's not a dog person :)

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Or if the kennel was fully enclosed...like with a chain-link roof or something..could also alarm the chainlink enclosure...dunno about wrought iron though.

I suppose an electric cattle fence would be an overkill?...those are fun to grab hold of.

| >

| > Doug L wrote: | >> I'd put a kennel in the back yard and keep the mutt where it belongs. | >>

| >> Doug L | >>

| >

| >

| > Actually, building a kennel around the area accessed by the dog door is | > an option. If it were wrought iron with a locking gate, this could | > offer the security I need... | > | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

I have one customer who has the same kind of door leading to an outside kennel run. We solved the problem when I welded up a custom steel lockable gate for when he is not home. This might not serve your purpose because it not only keeps the thieves out but the dog as well. However, for his application, it did the trick; he only allows the dog in when he is home. Otherwise, it sits outside in the kennel.

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Slippery slope that leads to humans being implanted with RFID chips so that you can instantly be scanned, identified, tracked, profiled, etc. The technology already exists to do this.

Reply to
J. Sloud

something..could also alarm the chainlink enclosure...dunno about wrought iron though.

Right, it'd have to have a roof. Cyclone fences aren't too hard to cut through, however. But a fully enclosed kennel with an ADT sign attached should be enough of a deterrent.

Reply to
briansgooglegroupemail

something..could also alarm the chainlink enclosure...dunno about wrought iron though.

Ya know? In all of this ........ no one has asked .... what the hell kind of wimpy dog do you have that would let somebody in the house ........... Anyway????

If you're home, the dog should be there. If your not, the door should be locked.

The solution might be to make the dog door "really" big and just put a "beware of Dog" sign on it. Just put in an out door motion detector, aimed above the dog. and attached it to a BIG dog barking, recording .......... and you wouldn't have to worry about anyone coming in.

Of course it might lose it's effect if your Chihuahua comes running out through the door.

Reply to
Jim

LOL. An old, deaf dog. He was never a fighter, anyhow. Loves people too much.

Reply to
briansgooglegroupemail

pressure mats..didn't think they were still around...let alone a weatherproof one...but it's a good idea...dunno about outside..

| >

| > Jim wrote: | >

| >> Ya know? In all of this ........ no one has asked .... what the hell | >> kind of wimpy dog do you have that would let somebody in the house | >> .......... Anyway???? | >

| > LOL. An old, deaf dog. He was never a fighter, anyhow. Loves people | > too much. | > | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

They come in handy sometimes.

formatting link

Reply to
alarman

I threw a whole roll of that shit away last year when I cleaned out my storage area. I can't believe they still make those shit window bugs too.

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

Tapeswitch used to make pet resistant under carpet mats. They have lots of other options and may have something which would fill the bill for this job. Their website is at

formatting link

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

I didn't read all the links to this but, I have installed a weight sensitive mat inside homes with doggie doors. They can be obtained I am sure with different weight limitations.

TJ

Reply to
mail

I suppose an electric cattle fence would be an overkill?...those are fun to grab hold of.

If you think that's fun, try peeing on one.

Reply to
mikey

In my youth with my beer goggles on, it may have been a little different.

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

we usta grab hold and have contest who can hang on longest...stoopid freekin kids man. I think Paulie is still hangin on.

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.