Dictaphone Freedom Recorders? G723.1 wav files

Hi all,

Does anyone here have experience with decoding Dictaphone recordings stored in G723.1 foramt? Is there a Windows codec available to decode the files (i.e. to be able to playback the file without using their player utility?).

Reply to
Spam Catcher
Loading thread data ...

Try a Google search.

KenW

Reply to
Kenw

Kenw wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I already Googled.

Reply to
Spam Catcher

Not a free program. Adobe Audition may decode it. I don't have it installed now, but I did use it for voice mail conversions at one time.

KenW

Reply to
Kenw

Microsoft has a g723 codec. May be a bitch where to find the download though.

KenW

Reply to
Kenw

You didn't try very hard. :)

try "free 723.1 decoder"

Adore's 'sip softphone' states that there is a Microsoft codec for G723.1. it appears to be a standard part of MS-Windows.

The Asterix open-source PBX also has a G723.1 codec.

No guarantees that they'll understand Dictaphone files directly, you may have to do some "file-format" conversion first.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

The free G723.1 decoders don't handle the dicatphone wav files correctly.

I had to do some hex editing, but in the end I was able to get a playable wav file.

I had to deconstruct the wav header manually - strip out the custom wav header to create a RAW file, run it through a C G723.1 decoder, to finally get a playable PCM wav file.

Now if I can only find out what is in the header :-)

Reply to
Spam Catcher

replying to Kenw, BMcclasky wrote: Nothing like reviving a old topic, but I have tried just about everything. I have files that were recorded by the dictaphone freedom softsare that I can not get to play back. I look at the system properties and it tells me that the codec is a DSP group truespeech codec 22.

*I have tried the following but am not sure that I have done them correctly.*

Installed the Freedom software, I can not get it to mount the archive device.

Imported the files into audicity as a raw file. (don't know if I have the settings correct)

Looked at the properties (DSP group truespeech codec 22) 6 kbps, 8 khz, installed that codec, tried other truespeech files and they work.

Does anyone know were these files encrypted?

I also Googled just about everything that I can think of.

Installed bytescribe and their dictaphone codec with no luck.

Tried a Hex editor on a copy of one of the files, (not sure I did that right either, I am a Noob when it comes to that)

About at the end of my rope, any thoughts, suggestions would be helpful.

I have a wav file that someone could try if they want to.

If you figure it out please let me know in detail how you did it.

Reply to
BMcclasky

Reply to
justgold79

Sorry about the empty message.

There was a wav file editor that could change the codec in a gui. I can't remember the name of it. It was created to modify DivX 3.11 ;) and MS-MPEG4 avi files.

This page shows to use hex offset 0032, where value of 1 = pcm.

formatting link

I went ahead and googled it for you. This program will show you if the codec is installed and also list out all of the hex values.

formatting link

It's lists these codecs:

comverseinfosys g723.1 as 0xA100. DEC g723.1 as 0xA123 Antex g723 adpcm as 0x0014. Lucent g723 as 0x0059. Lucent SX5363S g723 as 0x1c0c. Microsoft g723 as 0x0042. Racal g723.1 as 0x00a3.

I'm guessing you'll want to use MSGSM 0x0042, but ultimately you'll want to match the codec you have installed.

More links:

formatting link

formatting link

Reply to
justgold79

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.