Palmpad mystery revealed

Almost every case of a "stuck button" that was not related to device failure has been caused by newer style Palmpads. In comparing the older and the newer models I discovered that the older one has a raised strip running along side the row of the rightmost rocker-type buttons but the newer design uses little chiclet-style buttons and omits the raised ridge. The ridge is important because it keeps the buttons from being pressed when something is placed on the Palmpad or the velcro fails and it falls of the wall and wedges itself between something. That's happened often enough that I've decided to attach a small plastic strip along the edge of the newer ones.

At least this time I had a clue about the problem because the codes being sent were B15 and OFF. Those two codes coming in repeated sequence are almost always RF in origin. ooking at the Palmpad, that command is on the lowest right hand side of the device, as are all the OFF commands, and probably most susceptible to a "wedgie." I used the AM radio seach technique, but it wasn't particularly useful this time. That was probably because the suspect device had slide off the desktop and wedged between the desk and file cabinet and was too low to be caught by a waist-level sweep. I might be mistaken, but the most sensitive part of the radio to the X-10 RF signal seems not to be the antenna, but the radio's circuit board.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.