Details of Unlisted Number Address "Exploit" Revealed

Details of Unlisted Number Address "Exploit" Revealed

Lauren Weinstein December 20, 2007

Greetings. After due consideration, some expert advice, and since the firm involved obviously feels that they're not doing anything wrong (will everyone else agree?), I've decided to release the details of the unlisted number to address lookup "exploit" I outlined in "Psst! Wanna Know the Street Address for an Unlisted Number?" (

formatting link
) -- please see that entry for the background on this situation. This "exploit" is still up and running as of a few minutes ago.

As noted previously, this technique is extremely successful at revealing the street addresses for U.S. landline (non-mobile) telephone numbers, including those aforementioned unlisted numbers. The returned information isn't 100% accurate for all queries and some numbers are missing -- I suspect stale data in certain situations -- but it's very "good" overall.

Also, the full text of a response I received from the company's (apparent) public relations firm is available for your perusal and amusement (

formatting link
).

Calling this procedure an "exploit" is actually a misnomer as you'll see, since it's simple and direct to access once you know where it lives -- and even that is unfortunately relatively obvious, so it seems very likely that it's already being used for "unintended" purposes. My hope is that broader knowledge of this matter may lead to a more rapid resolution of the situation, since the firm chose not to limit this data after I called their attention to the privacy issues involved.

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.