Logs button not opening Logs GUI

I've just upgraded to SDM 2.2.3 and still certain buttons do not work. Logs and Traffic Status in Monitoring, Additional Tasks in Config. Why is this? Nothing has changed for years except my recent upgrade (which failed to fix the issue). Cisco 857W box with 12.4(6) T4 IOS.

Reply to
Lester Lane
Loading thread data ...

MAKE THAT 2.3.3 SDM!

Reply to
Lester Lane

THANKS FOR LISTERNING - WHAT IS IT WITH CISCO THAT MAKES IT SO BLOODY HARD?!

Reply to
Lester Lane

| On 29 June, 11:46, Lester Lane wrote: | > On 29 June, 11:44, Lester Lane wrote: | >

| > > I've just upgraded to SDM 2.2.3 and still certain buttons do not | > > work.  Logs and Traffic Status in Monitoring, Additional Tasks in | > > Config.  Why is this?  Nothing has changed for years except my recent | > > upgrade (which failed to fix the issue).  Cisco 857W box with 12.4(6) | > > T4 IOS. | >

| > MAKE THAT 2.3.3 SDM! | | THANKS FOR LISTERNING - WHAT IS IT WITH CISCO THAT MAKES IT SO BLOODY | HARD?!

Have you upgraded the java on your computer? Try installing different (older) java version on your computer.

Reply to
Morph

Well, that is an interesting viewpoint. I have been working with Cisco for 13 years with the command line, I am far from clueless. I have had a look at the various web GUI thingies over several years and have always simply given up in disgust. It seems that it is required that you change the web browser permissions to allow everything from anybody.

You need version this of that, special permissions like this. Load of crap. Waste of time.

Exactly no other web application is so onerous. If you want to do cisco stuff, you have to learn the command line interface.

The CLI is however quite beautiful. Proper work of art. [more strictly, it was a work of art 10 years ago and is still adequate(ish) but it for sure could do with an update]

For example, a full screen config editor (perhaps as smooth to use as Notepad - cira 1990) would be just about the best thing since sliced bread.

Reply to
bod43

I think calling it a web interface is misleading - it's an application you run on your PC that you download over HTTP from the router first. Nobody would call [say] Office 2007 a web application because it's possible to download it from Microsoft's website before running it.

Vim, dammit; if it's going to be 'updated' then it will need syntax highlighting and regexps at least.

ASDM is better IMHO than SDM. Cisco would do better by letting SDM die [if not supporting current versions of Java isn't already letting it die] and improving ASDM so it supports IOS. The feature sets are so close anyway [was pleasantly surprised to see EIGRP and Netflow on ASAs now] that it couldn't be that hard.

Reply to
alexd

Thanks guys for proving to me that Cisco is stuck in the last centuary. I have dumped the box, CD etc into the round filling cabinet! I don't know how old windows is but I do remember the first

3.1 interface and being a little sad that the DOS command line was being dumbed down. But I grew with it. Why can't Cisco wake up and move on - arrogant bunch of ludite nerds. Because they no longer fit in the world of IT I have dropped them entirely - this must be the most satisfying decision I have made for years!!!
Reply to
Lester Lane

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.