Leviton 6201 repeater problems

I had to replace a Leviton 6201 several months ago as it had failed (power supply burned up). I replaced it with the new Leviton HCA-02-10e and had nothing but problems with "ping pong" repeating, dimming issues and errors. I found and purchased 3 of the old 6201 units, 1 to replace the HCA-02-10e, 1 for the garage and a spare. After installing the unit it worked perfectly for a day and then I noticed units not responding. I tested the signal with Smarthome Testerlinc and found that there were many errors being transmitted and the signal was in the 60's. The LED was not flashng on the 6201. I replaced the 1st 6201 with another one and found the same problem. So I replaced it with the last NEW on I have and had the same result. Thinking that having 3 new units defective was slim, I experminted a bit and found that if I applied power only to the red wire it boosted the signal to 120-140 (with no errors) on that phase only and flashed the LED. As soon as I applied power to the black lead the unit stopped woking (no LED and many errors). I connected the HCA-02-10e back up again and it works except for the "ping pong" problem. Note that I powered up the 6201 in the proper sequence and the white lead is to neutral and I disconnected the known signal absorbing devices. There are no other transmitters or repeaters installed and the system is controlled by a PC and CM11a. What are the odds of having 3 defective (new and never connected) units ?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Harry

Reply to
hbpate
Loading thread data ...

I've posted my multiple 6201 and HCA-02 woes in this newsgroup before so I won't repeat them. Short story is that an Advanced Control Technologies (ACT) CR230 solved the problem for me (apparently, and, at least, for now).

The ACT unit also has the advantage of fitting neatly into a deep, 2-gang switch box. I positioned the ACT next to my entrance panel and placed a another separate bos with three duplex AC outlets next to it. The duplex outlets are fed by both phases though the ACT. So power-line adapters such as a CM11a can be plugged into either phase (or both) in close proximity to the coupler and the entrance panel which serves as the interconnection point between different AC circuits.

This outlet box is also the default location to for me to plug in ACT's signal condtioner/transformer through which I can monitor and display the AC power line and separated X-10 component with a inexpensive dual-trace oscilloscope running on my HA controller PC.

Photo and description here:

formatting link
HTH ... Marc Marc_F_Hult
formatting link

Reply to
MFHult

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.