CFL database

Since I keep him in my killfile, I only see a sampling of the fishy Floridian's daily litany of lies when someone quotes him. One thing I know for sure is that bass are completely incapable of telling the truth.

While this company may be biased, they say that fluorescents are the biggest source of mercury c>

formatting link
formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston
Loading thread data ...

Some of us have an Ikea only 10 miles away, and some of us manage to combine drop-off trips with other shopping that happens to be nearby...

Anybody who drives 100 miles (or 10 miles, for that matter) just to recycle a light bulb is, well, a pretty dim bulb!

And some of us have pretty high mpg, low emissi> We are worried about mercury in the environment but not the extra gas,

Reply to
NoSuchPerson

Ikea's on a real "green" marketing campaign. They've got some really sharp "knives" at their head office. I figure they've positioned themselves perfectly. Kudos!

Reply to
Frank Olson

Here's a link to the thread I mentioned...

formatting link
A very quick measurement with my Kill A Watt of 3 different wallwarts...

5V 2A SMPS (ETA-USA WCS10-05SX-Y-2) NO LOAD 2VA 1W 0.4PF 5V 200mA LINEAR (CUI DV-530R) NO LOAD 0VA 0W 1.0PF (TOO LOW TO MEASURE IN WATT OR VA MODE) 12V 500mA UNREGULATED (JAMECO ACU 120050) 6VA 1W 0.24PF

It would take a rather large and inefficient unregulated PS to waste 5-10W when not loaded. However, the 6VA reading would be a problem for the utility as they have to supply that much current (and have sufficient infrastructure) even though it's doing no work and (in most residential settings) they do not charge for it.

In Watt & VA mode, Kill A Watt accuracy is only ±1 unit so anybody wanting more accuracy would have to use the kWh mode and measure over a lengthy time period.

Much of Asia, most of Europe and California have mandated efficiency standards that can only be met by using SMPS.

SIDEBAR 1: Control4 has proposed a TV channel to show the total power used in a residence in real time. My utility (Duke) recently changed all the meters in my neighborhood to ones that can be read remotely, so the basic technology is mostly in place.

SIDEBAR 2: To me, it makes more sense to require the utilities to put scrubbers on their stacks to capture mercury than to pretend that CFLs will result in significant reductions in mercury. If they also capture the waste heat and use it to generate electricity, it might pay for itself. But it's probably cheaper to buy a politician.

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

Ridiculous argument. One person's situation doesn't make a global economy.

Most of these CFLs will go into your landfill sites. Since many of us in Canada ship our daily garbage to the USA, it will become the USanian's problem.

" snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMPUHLEEZschnapp.org" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com...

Reply to
John J. Bengii

We only want your "huddled masses yearning to be free", not the garbage. But then again I heard many US coal power plants are located along the Canaian border where prevailing winds blow the mercury north.

Reply to
RickH

LOL... Very true. I am moving further north to get away from all the poluution the Ohio coal burners produce. Of course, only until we can forcibly take over that state and put scrubbers on our newly aquired units. We will distract your forces by creating a diversion in the middle east, first. Gawd damned Reagen and his cutbacks. This was supposed to be all cleaned up until Bonzo the clown arrived.

We only want your "huddled masses yearning to be free", not the garbage. But then again I heard many US coal power plants are located along the Canaian border where prevailing winds blow the mercury north.

Reply to
John J. Bengii

More FL related issues:

formatting link
It would appear that there are medical issues for some people

Reply to
Lon

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

They way I understand it this report in another ignorant media grandstand based on ancient information.

Colour spectrum of light can be an affecting part for SADS and other mood disorders. Fluorescents are usually the lights that people sit in front of to alleviate these symptoms. The daylight and high K ratings are much better than incandescents, typically. Hell, I and many other lay in front of huge wattage fluorescents to get tanned and rid ourselves of skin eruption due to excema and psoriasis. This is a recognized medical practice that has now erupted as a cancer preventative, also.

The 60 Hz flicker was another problem with fluorescents that has been alleviated over the last few decades by longer persistence phosphors and with the high frequency electronic ballasts the flicker disappears.

My understanding is that epileptics have problems with strobing lamps interfering with their alpha rhythms, putting them into a beta wave state. Beta states are from (guessing from memory) 10-12 Hz and up. Electronic inverters certainly are not in this range. Possible 25 Hz incandescents and entertainment strobe lights are for sure, as well as some film sequences.

Reply to
John J. Bengii

I think you're mostly right on epilepsy (I had misunderremembered the critical frequencies) although it's possible to get a beat frequency from watching TV with fluorescent lighting.

formatting link
"For example, the flickering from a fluorescent tube light could interact with the light from a screen and trigger a seizure. The risk of this happening may be reduced by using non-fluorescent lights."

If you lived down here you'd have less need of artificial tann>They way I understand it this report in another ignorant media

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

Oh, bullshit!! Photosensitive epileptics are mostly sensitive to strobes in the 5-70 Hz range. Most photosensitive epileptics tend to be affected in the 15 to 20 Hz range. It varies a bit from person to person but there is no problem with high frequencies nor is there a known problem at frequencies below about 5 Hz.

The "demise of incandescents" is all in Dave's head. Incandescent lights are going to have to become more efficient. They will because the technology is close to current and there's a huge market for them. As to S.A.D., light therapy treatment isn't even FDA approved. There is anecdotal evidence that it helps but no definitive studies have been done as yet. SAD is a type of depression and if sever enough to affect your QOL, it can be treated with medication. Jeff Morgan may be able to advise you best on that subject.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

And some of you, the liberal village idiots just don't think at all. Tell the group Bass, what are we to do with all of the mercury contained in CFL's? I know, Owl gWhore can SELL Mercurey Offsets to the little people beneath him while he tools around the world in his private jet. Morons...et al...nobody ever accused a liberal of smart.

Reply to
Enigma

I think they maybe talks about something like beat in acoustic. Every waves could interfere, so if frequencies are close - it may produce new "signal" with frequency as substraction of interfencing frequencies. But I never heard about proof that any epileptics problems shows when one uses TV and fluorescent tube. Just TV is most suspected.

Reply to
Ghost

yeah i heres ya,

Reply to
Linton Yarbrough

While some may argue over the numbers there clearly will be some issues with small group(s) with a mandatory FL/CLF world. It will be interesting to see if high efficeincy incandesents prove out and are available as a subsitute. Current rules do not support thier use.

There is a parallel here to asmatics. New inhalers are all CFC free, and are clearly not working as well as prior versions. There is no exception to the CFC ban, even for demonstrable medical purposes.

FDA approval is not requried for it, but is generally considered effective by most professionals working in the field. See the links to the Mayo Clinic and Columbia Univ. below.

formatting link

Reply to
Lon

LOL.. I love it. I always find cultural differences in languages (especially English, very amusing. I hated them in school. As a Canistan resident we have a good working knowledge of 'mericun dialect, typically and also Brit slang.

I never thought about beat freqs with lighting. Good point. I have discovered a fair but of SADS in my later years. Especuially trying to live on solar PV and thermal at my building site last winter. Man, that was a SADs amplifier. I counted 6 hours of sun in Dec-Jan until our winter started last week of Jan (odd year... probably global cooling or el niño)

Reply to
John J. Bengii

It's not the TV tube that was at fault. Sometimes program material can have the same affect as a strobe. Photosensitive epileptics have occasionally suffered seizures from such things as looking out the window of a moving train. Some are even sensitive to geometric patterns.

I've seen the effects firsthand, by the way. Many years ago my then girlfriend and I were looking at some stuff in the window of a head shop in Greenwich Village. It was night and the place was closed but there was a strobe in the display window. All of a sudden she went stiff as a board and fell backward, striking her head on the sidewalk before I could even react. She had a grand mal seizure.

After that I tried to learn all I could about epilepsy. I didn't know at the time that my little sister would also suffer from it. One thing I have learned is that there are a lot of people who think they know all about it and make all kinds of stupid claims based on supposition and superstition, then use those claims as reason for illogical behavior. Dave Houston's comments were among the mildest I've heard (though still completely wrong, of course).

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Yes, I know.

Reply to
Ghost

of man is restless curiosity about things which he cannot understand; and it is not so bad for him to be in error as to be curious to no purpose.

The manner in which Epictetus, Montaigne, and Salomon de Tultie wrote is the most usual, the most suggestive, the most remembered, and the oftenest quoted, because it is entirely composed of thoughts born from the common talk of life. As when we speak of the common error which exists among men that the moon is the cause of everything, we never fail to say that Salomon de Tultie says that, when we do not know the truth of a thing, it is of advantage that there should exist a common error, etc.; which is the thought above.

1. The last thing one settles in writing a book is what one should put in first.

1. Order.--Why should I undertake to divide my virtues into four rather than into six? Why should I rather establish virtue in four, in two, in one? Why into Abstine et sustine[1] rather than into "Follow Nature," or, "Conduct your private affairs without injustice," as Plato, or anything else? But there, you will say, everything is contained in one word. Yes, but it is useless without explanation, and when we come to explain it, as soon as we unfold this maxim which contains all the rest, they emerge in that first confusion which you desired to avoid. So, when they are all included in one, they are hidden and useless, as in a chest, and never appear save in their natural confusion. Nature has established them all without including one in the other.

2. Nature has made all her truths independent of one another. Our art makes one dependent on the other. But this is not natural. Each keeps its own place.

1. Let no one say that I have said nothing new; the arrangement of the subject is new. When we play tennis, we both play with the same ball, but one of us pl

Reply to
Epileptic Spazola

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.