Linksys WRT350N router

I have a cat5 network at home. I want to keep one of the rooms from running napster like software that seems to send out a lot of outbound traffic to many different IPs. Can I prevent this with my router without limiting internet access?

Thanks.

Reply to
jobs
Loading thread data ...

NO.

Reply to
Leythos

It's quite difficult to limit internet access without limiting internet access.

Sander

Reply to
Sander

It's already been pointed out that this can't be done with that router. I don't mean to contradict your premise of not limiting internet access, but perhaps social engineering might work. If you find Napster-like traffic in the router log, just prevent that system from accessing anything for one week.

Reply to
Spender

well.. i'm not sure if this was the result of what I did. But my router does have a built in Firewall and I am able to limit what ports can be accessed by computer on my subnet. I noticed the problem was all outbound and to different ports going to countless IP addresses. With my router, I created 3 new access rules limiting access to ports 24 - 79 , 80-442 , and 444 to the max number on all my IP addresses and the traffic stopped. I've tested and I have no apparent problem surfing or serving.

Reply to
jobs

It's only a Band-Aid solution. You need to use tools and go look on the machines and see what is causing the outbound and stop it.

formatting link

You can use Process Explore and go to Menu View/ Show Lower pane/Show all DLL(s) , and PE will show you everything that's being hosted by a running process in the upper pane. You can right-click a process in the upper pane and go to its Properties. You can do the same thing in the lower pane.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.