Large network and dumb switches

Consider the following network. There are 3 levels connected one to each other in a tree-like hierarchy. In level A, up to 10 computers are connected to a 16-port switch. Those switches are connected to form level B, where up to 5 switches (also 16-port) are connected. The level C is up to 3 switches (but probably only one) that connect all the B level switches and possibly go to Internet through some router. Assume that there will be 100 - 300 computers (will increase over time) connected to the whole network, all of them on level A (probably never on level B).

The main usage of the network will probably be Internet access and local area network gaming and file sharing. The most important part is that it works in the sense that manual work is not needed in most cases (i.e. resetting the switches or such). If it is a little slow sometimes, that might not be a huge problem.

Do you think using dumb switches like:

- Netgear JFS516

formatting link
D-Link 1016D
formatting link
,- Sweex LA200030
formatting link
or such would be enough? Of course, I would like to spend as less money as possible, but at the same time not buy some crap. How do these compare to switches like Cisco Catalyst (e.g. 2950)?

The question is really - is Cisco-range the only choice in this situation because there is such a huge number of machines? It is not comparable by price, so I am thinking there must be a huge difference. However, you can run Linux for free, but it's not infinitely bad - on the contrary. Is this the case with these switches also?

What is the difference between e.g.

- Cisco switches like Catalyst 2950

formatting link
D-Link switches like DES-1026G
formatting link
?The latter costs 1/3 less and has double the number of ports... Will D-Link be able to process the information that is sent over the network in a decent manner?

There must be some difference, thoguh. What would be the possible consequences - will it be slow, unreliable, hard to mantain or are there just some features that I might never need (and pay too needlessly for them)? As I said, I need basic networking that works without frequent manual intervention - no matter if its 3x slower than what can be achieved with equipment that costs 10x more. If it needs to be reset once in a month, that's not a big deal, but if it fails twice a day, then spending 10x less is just wasting money.

Level C switch might be a Cisco-quality switch (since it's probably only one) - would that make any noticable difference?

I have read about some of the differences on the Net. However, some of my friends suggest one choice, while the other suggest the other one. Which do you think is right?

Did anyone build such networks? Practical experience would be the most important in these cases, so if anyone has experience with such low-budget switches and networks of these sizes, it would help me a lot.

Reply to
dt
Loading thread data ...

No. Cisco would provide better monitoring tools, nice features like port-security, NAC, and private-vlans. It would also provide rapid-spanning-tree for the ability to create a slightly more robust design. But none of those items are requirements for you.

No. Cisco provides more features for debugging and troubleshooting networks. If you have no desire to manage your network, then any switch will do. But Cisco really does have more valuable features for those of us who do have to monitor and manage our network, and the acquisition cost is a triffle in comparison with the labor savings that these features bring. But, again, if you have no intention of using them, then there is no point in buying them.

Only if it is a layer 3 switch (e.g. 3550, 3560, 3750) and you use it as a router to cut down on broadcast storms. Otherwise, no.

One question - why so many levels? You don't gain a noticable speed improvement with today's switches - in fact, you introduce more bottlenecks. A 24 port 10/100/1000 switch at the core with 24 port 10/100 switches with an 10/100/1000 uplink would be a more scalable design for the size of network you are discussing.

Reply to
Daniel J McDonald

Thank you for your answers!

Probably not. It would be better to have them, for sure. However, the network will be of closed type, in the sense that the people who use the network will be the ones that take care of it. This will not go to the great extent, but it is expected that there will be no intention to hack it, spread viruses and such. I am sure that such things will happen once in a while, but I am pretty sure that we will be able to explain to all of the users that this is for their goodness. There will also be sanctions to whoever is found guilty of such things, so I am not very interested in paying 10x for management features. I still agree it is much easier with these, but unfortunately the price is a limiting factor.

Yes, cutting down broadcast storms is why I was considering this. How much do you think this can be a problem? I am going to put DNS/WINS, so NetBIOS wouldn't be a problem in this case. Are there any other cases of "normal" broadcasts that might pose a problem? If I buy a switch that has VLANs and cut everything into separate broadcast domains, this will probably be a lot smaller problem, don't you think?

I was talking about data layer broadcasts - do you think IP broadcasts are a big problem in the network usage I think this will have - i.e. file sharing and gaming mostly?

That surely is an option. The level more is just the first-shot at the solution considering the price. I could get 16-port swtiches two times cheaper then 24-port, that was the main reason I thought this way. Considering the cabling, however, this will surely not be this cheaper. I looked at the configuration you suggest in the meantime and it really seems that is a lot better solution.

Have you done some this size network built exclusively of unmanaged switches (or only one managed at core, such stuff)? If you did, can you tell me what is the number of computers and what and how severe the problems with these were?

Thanks again for the reply, this was very useful for me!

Reply to
dt

I don't remember what you said the size of your network would be but I run some small businesses. In one office of about 40 computers total with 3 switches I've never had to deal with hacking, viruses, or similar. What the management does do is allow you to find 10/100 printers that don't play well with gig switches, bad cables, intermittently failing NICs, etc.. The management features save dozens of hours per year. And if there's no on site wizard, management will allow a paid visiting wizard to find out what's going on very quickly compared to the random swapping of cables and port.

And proactively you see where the traffic is flowing and arrange your network according.

Pay now or pay later. :)

Reply to
DLR

"network management" for a medium-sized operation doesn't have to be expensive. Lots of mid-range switches have built-in web pages that show traffic and error statistics and allow the manual settings of important parameters on a per-port basis. You don't have to set up

*any* fancy central management (which can be very expensive). For a medium-sized company you can monitor the entire network from your desk via the web page in each box.

Both these features have saved my butt more than once.

Look at the HP Procurve line of switches and the prices. The business cost of an hour's downtime for your employees will exceed the extra cost of a full set of Procurve managed switches. (the cheapest models don't have management. RTFM before you buy.)

Reply to
Al Dykes

central amanegement also doesnt have to be expensive - but often "expensive" is a subjective measure.

have a look at general monitoring tools that can check switches, routers and other key devices such as servers - Whats Up Gold is a good one.

this means 1 place to manage from - and 1 place all the warnings arrive at - important if you need to zero in on problems, esp if the site is remote.

you can get by with built in web pages, but the flip side to this is that the killer is "scale" in terms of number of devices - for the entire network, not just that site. Basically you want a minimal number of separate "management points" that have to be dealt with separately.

managing 5 switches is fairly simple - handling 500 is not going to work unless you only use it reactively, and dont need it very often.

And if you use the built in features try to minimise how many switches you need - i dont have much experience with HP switches, but some of them are modular with fairly high port counts and that would be good for at least the central box.

Reply to
stephen

I will give all your recommendations a thought. ProCurve switches seem a good choice, but I am still looking around for other solutions.

Do any of you guys have any experience with switches like D-Link, Allied Telesyn or TP-Link? I am looking at switch with 24x100MB + at least 2x1GB ports, SNMP would be good (a must?), according to your recommendations.

E.g. I have just came accross TP-Link TL-SL2428WEB, which is 24x100MB +

2x1GB + 2 ext. ports Web Managed Switch. Not expensive, supports VLANs. Did anyone use them? Others are for example TP-Link TL-SL3226P (24 + 2) or TP-Link TL-SL3428 (24 + 2 + 2). Here are the links:

formatting link
?id=45
formatting link
I am wondering how they perform in real life. Any experience? I am most interested in SL3226P and SL3428, since they have SNMP.

Here are their user guide pages, you can find all mentioned models here (the zips on the right are manuals):

formatting link

Reply to
dt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.