Two routers with their own external static public IP's serving PORTIONS of the same internal subnet. Is that OK

Two routers with their own external static public IP's serving PORTIONS of the same internal subnet. Is that OK ? Any nasty ramifications ?

So router1's external is xxx.xxx.xx.1 and two's is xxx.xxx.xx.2. 1's internal address block is 192.168.0.3 to 0.160 with a gateway of 0.2 and router 2's internal block runs say from 0.161 to 0.250 using a gate way of

All machines on the 0 subnet need to see each other (and can); again ,any nasty problems in the future ?

Reply to
barret bondon
Loading thread data ...

Sure, that is fine. Not sure why you want to do it that way, it doesn't offer load balancing or redundancy. It would be like you had two networks, that may share a switch, but otherwise pass in the night.

This last line especially has me totally confused about what you intend to do.

But people do do dual WAN firewall/routers all the time. That seems to be what you want, but without any benefits, just the complexity.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

No benefits , just added complexity, is a good way of putting it. It just snuck up on me one very high pressured day at a client; the original "router" is a very old PIX that I set up years ago and it started giving me odd problems as I was adding new hosts behind it. I had a bunch of new cheap off the self routers and just added one as I described . Been working fine for 8 months, but I wondered if I had bought into some problems. Good to hear what you had to say. Many thanks

Reply to
barret bondon

Yups... n rather its a gud design if used with good protocols like GLBP.. for detailed implementation.. see this -

formatting link

Reply to
Ciscohite

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.