How to assign an ip address to the embedded AP in 881W from the command line when first turing it on

I just got an 881W. From the console I can use the command to set up the router just like other Cisco routers. To configure the embedded AP I telnet to the AP and config it from the command line.

But in the first place, when I config the router the first time, I cannot manually assign an IP address to the embedded AP. I have to use ASDM ( now called Cisco CP interface ? ) to assign the AP an IP address.

What if I do not have a workstation with GUI interface, how can I assign an ip address to that AP without using ASDM ?

Thanks,

DT

Reply to
dt1649651
Loading thread data ...

I am not familiar with the 881W however all previous routers integrated the Radio config into the router config. It would be astonishing to me if Cisco had changed that operating model.

I just posted a sample for an 877W to the thread "Cisco 877W and Demon Options ".

If you are still having trouble post a security sanitised config here.

Also sh ver.

Reply to
bod43

You setup its IP in the main IOS of the box with 'int wlan-ap0'.

Ie. the docs here describe its setup a few different ways.

formatting link
You don't do it on the AP IOS itself.

This is much the same way the CUE is configured, or some of the auxillary processor systems for various things. Including the 'service-module ... session' command to connect to the seperate processor running the AP.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

They did. I suspect the main reason is that the AP on this line supports regular IOS heavy mode, or LWAPP mode.

Its configured much like any of the other "processor" subsystem cards, like CUE or the app engine or whatnot.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Thanks a lot, Doug.

It is interesting that now I can access the AP from two different ip addresses:

- the IP I assign to int BVI of the AP ( via telnet/ssh )

- the IP of VLAN1 of the router ( via service-module wlan-ap0 session )

Dt

Reply to
dt1649651

Bod, I have also worked with 87x w routers. Cisco does not really change the way the AP to be configured, they just change how the AP "appears" to you. For the 871w or 1240 series, for example, you can config BVI and dot11 interfaces directly after you connect to the router or the AP. For the 881w, the AP is "embedded" inside the router. You have to telnet or reverse telnet to the AP as a separate device. When you "show run" the router, no config for the wireless appears at all. Similarly, when you are inside the "embedded" AP, "show run" won't show the config of the router that contains the AP.

Pretty interesting design.

Dt

Reply to
dt1649651

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.