Autonomous or LWAPP for fast roaming

We are looking to deploy wifi to support Tablet PCs. The software we are using is very sensitive to loosing its connection to the SQL database. I am worried particually about roaming. We need to use 802.1x for security and would like to use the MS IAS servier with EAP-TLS for authentication. We have 4 locations which should each be well covered by 3 base stations at each location. Medical providers need to be able to move around the office without losing connections. Time is more important than money. An hour of lost provider time (and when our app crashes it crashes hard) is worth avoiding with addition money. My questions are the following:

1. Do we need LWAPP or will autonomous with WLSE work for us? (Specifically for fast secure roaming, or quick handoff, or whatever it is we need)

1. Do we need to use EAP-FAST (and thus a Cisco AAA server) or will EAP-TLS with IAS be enough?

2. If we use LWAPP do we need WCS or will managing each 2000 series WLAN controller be enough?

1. Will all this work with my HP switches and Andtran routers?

Reply to
matthiasgoodman
Loading thread data ...

Hello,

here are a couple of thoughts and considerations: have you already made your choice regarding the hardware you will be using for your AP's and your tablet PC's ? Since it is connection stability that you are looking for, I would try and stay with the same manufacturer as much as possible. So, if you are looking at Cisco AP's, WLSE in combination with EAP-FAST and WCS would be recommendable. EAP-TLS with IAS requires server and client digital certificates, while EAP-FAST lets you use Windows password logon, not sure if that is of any consideration. Since you say that you have already deployed HP switches and AdTran routers, leaving the Cisco equipment out alltogether would be recommendable. Or, obviously, replacing the HP and AdTran with Cisco routers and switches, which is a question of how much money you have to spend... How far are you with the planning of your wireless network ? Do you have WiFi support already in place for devices other than the tablet PC's ?

Regards,

GNT

Reply to
help

Well, we tried out HP 420 APs for a few weeks and were never able to get it to be very stable. So we are looking at the Cisco solution because of all the advanced features availalbe. As far as going to Cisco switches, I think that is out of the question for now.

Reply to
matthiasgoodman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.