Curious about an interface that I have not heard of before

Hi Adil,

Bridge-Group 1

Specifies the bridge-group number to which the point-to-point ATM0.1 interface belongs. This corresponds to the bridge protocol command.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interface BVI1

Defines a bridge group virtual interface (BVI) on the existing routed interface from the WAN bridge group to the nonbridged LAN interface-that is, from the DSL provider to the internal LAN. Each bridge group can have only one corresponding BVI.

When you configure the BVI and enable routing on it, as shown in the preceding command, packets that come in on a routed interface destined for a host on a segment that is in a bridge group are transferred from Layer 3 routing to Layer 2 bridging across this interface.

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Certified Network Engineer Jobs United Kingdom: 44-20-70784294 U.S. Toll Free: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 Website:

formatting link

Reply to
BradReeseCom
Loading thread data ...

Hello All,

I was just wondering if someone could tell me what a interface BVI1 is?

I've seen them in a hyperterminal session in a Cisco Wireless Access Point that a fellow IT guy was configuring.

A good explanation of what it is would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Adil

Reply to
AN

Depending upon the context, the BVI (Bridge-group Virtual Interface) can also be used with IRB (Integrated Routing and Bridging) to represent the bridged domain to the routed domain. In other words, you can have one or more interfaces that belong to a bridge-group where these interfaces interact as layer 2 interfaces. This group of interfaces (the bridge-group) is associated with the BVI interface via the bridge-group number and can represent the layer 2 bridge domain to the layer 3 routed domain. The BVI is typically assigned layer 3 attributes (ip address, etc.).

Reply to
Bob by the Bay

Thank you all for explanation. It still seems over my head though from reading your responses. I'll need to do some research on those.

Thanks again.

Adil

Reply to
AN

Right, and in the case of an access point, the wireless radio interface (interface Dot11radioX I do believe) and the ethernet interface (interface EthernetX) are bridged together. An ip address is assigned to the BVI interface.

Reply to
Wayne

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.