CCNA Exam Question

I'm sure this has been asked before...

I am taking my exam on Tuesday the 29th at VUE testing facility.

In the Labs...are you permitted, encouraged, or prohibited from using abbreviated commands?

Some of the lab sims I have done, have marked the lab WRONG because I use "conf t" instead of "configure terminal" and "show run" instead of "show running-config" and things like that.

I'm doing great with subnetting and binary/hex/decimal conversions, I have STP and access lists pretty well figured out, and I am now in the middle of setting up a frame relay network on one serial port and a PPP network on the other. I am using a set of (3) 2610 variety routers, each with 2 serial WIC's and a E0 port for my lab practice...will these be enough for the CCNA? The bummer is the two switches I have here are Cat 1900's (24 ports each)...but I think MOST of the switch labs work on them...will the 1900 practice hurt me? Should I do some study with the simulated 2950's?

My son is a CCNA already...and he's been a big help...like when I blew away the IOS on a couple of the routers, he simply refused to help, and only giggled at me while I sweated out the repair process....being around IT for a couple decades, I had backed up the IOS within seconds of getting the routers turned on...boy did I look smart.

Reply to
Brian
Loading thread data ...

"Brian" wrote in news:DZ15i.12762$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

The simulations in the exams do allow shortcuts. For example, config t will work just fine for configure terminal. Beware that sometimes the sims are not perfect recreations of the actual IOS, however. I have run across shortcuts that DID NOT work just because they programmed the sim wrong. But in general - you should be fine with shortcuts. There will be NO points subtracted because you used shortcuts.

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO SAVE YOUR CONFIGS.

Your home lab sounds just fine for CCNA practice.

Anthony J. Sequeira #15626

Reply to
Anthony Sequeira

I suggest that you get some practice on the 2950 switch simulation. The 1900 is all but eliminated from the exam. Also the abbreviated command work fine, but where possible enter full command to be safe.

Reply to
Lyn Sam

A couple of more things worth mentioning about the Sims. There are partial credit in these questions - so if you are asked to do A, B, and C

- but you do not know how to do C - be sure to do A and B and save your configuration - you will get some points.

Also, context sensitive help is available (?) - but it operates pretty slow - you will want to use it sparingly to not waste time!

Anthony J.Sequeira #15626

"Lyn Sam" wrote in news:Pzi5i.5432$Ud7.5284@trnddc08:

Reply to
Anthony Sequeira

I'd just add that checking out 'cisco-tv' on the cisco prepcenter site is helpful. One presentation they do covers all that the other posters have mentioned - interestingly it also points out that the presence or absence of certain features can be a hint as to where the question wants you to go.

For example, it may be that on an actual exam sim the 'show cdp neighbor' command doesn't work - and you can then be sure that this set of commands are not the way forward for that question (by the way, that example isn't a hint about the actual test one way or the other).

I'm not sure I'd agree with the post about help (?) - maybe it depends where you take the test and the machine spec's they have. In my experience it worked well, but YMMV. Again, if a feature isn't required, the help for that command may be off. That surprised me, as I thought it would be the required bits that they wanted to test you on, that they would turn off the help for. Good for cisco! It makes up for the fact you can't go back and review questions I guess :-)

The main gotcha is to really make sure you have answered all parts of a sim or simlet question before moving on - sometimes it looks all done, but if you scroll down you find a whole other set of instructions. If you haven't sat a cisco exam before, the tutorial before the exam shows you how the different question types work - and the same tutorial is available on the cisco site if you want a peek beforehand.

I've posted before about when subnet-zero is needed on the exam; and now I've sat it, I can confirm the Cisco Press Book advice on this is spot on.

Good luck!

Reply to
John Petersen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.