ATM dialer

Hi, I've got the below config for an ATM interface. What I don't understand is why it actually works! I've got no dialer-group/dialer-list combo, why does the dialer interface come up without having any interesting traffic associated with it? I do have a static route eg "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 d2" but I don't see why that overcomes the need to have interesting traffic specified. Can anyone explain to me?

Regards Paul

#sh run int d2 Building configuration...

Current configuration : 231 bytes ! interface Dialer2 bandwidth 1126 ip address negotiated ip nat outside encapsulation ppp dialer pool 2 ppp authentication chap callin ppp chap hostname ppp chap password 7 end

Reply to
John Smith
Loading thread data ...

Must admit I'm not competent on dialer setups but haven't you answered your own question. Surely a default route pointing to the dialer is interesting traffic as long as no better route exists in the routing table.

Toby

Reply to
Toby

Thanks for the reply Toby. I just didn't thank that's how they work. I thought you *had* to define interesting traffic to bring a dialer interface up, and that's with a dialer-list. ah well.

Reply to
John Smith

Ya know...it's been a long time, but I'm pretty sure dialer-list is required to kick up the line.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

that's what I thought, but if the above config doesn't work then you wouldn't be getting this email!!!

Reply to
John Smith

I am not an expert on this but when you say its an ATM interface then you must be using PPP over ATM for some sort of DSL connection.

What is the config on the main interface. Is it something like

interface atm 1/0 no ip address ! interface atm1/0.1 point-to-point pvc 0/100 encapsulation aal5snap protocol ppp dialer dialer pool-member 2

If this is the case then ATM has no concept of interesting traffic. This is only used in ISDN and DDR. Like frame relay ATM uses permanent virtual circuits (PVC) and is an always on technology. With ATM you can also define switched virtual circuits (SVC) which go up and down as needed but as far as I know all types of traffic will bring the connection up and there is no way of defining "interesting traffic"

Beez

Reply to
Beezneez

Thanks Beez - I'd assumed that interesting traffic was a fundamental propery of dialler interfaces, irrespective of what type of intereface it ended up at.

Ta, Paul

Reply to
John Smith

Not sure if it is right what I said. I think I have to do more reading on the subject. I wonder if anyone can clear it up who knows more about it.

I checked the Cisco documentation and they give some examples of PPPoE and PPPoA configurations

They give 3 examples

PPP over Ethernet with NAT

formatting link
over Ethernet with NAT Using a Dial-on-Demand PPP-over- Ethernet Connection
formatting link
over ATM with NAT
formatting link
The first 2 have dialer-group/list defined and the last does not. Only difference I can see is first 2 are PPPoE and last is PPPoA.

Hope someone can clear it up for me.

Beez

Reply to
Beezneez

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.