Does LCP count towards ATM interface counters?

Have a problem with an 1841 with 2x DSL WIC, where the second WIC won't re-log in without a reboot, ie it will drop periodically as DSL is wont to do, but not log back in. If I clear the counters on ATM0/1/0, they never increment, yet various 'debug ppp ...' show LCP CONFREQs being sent by the router. The debugging output suggests that CONFREQs are never answered by the other end, which suggests either a config or ISP problem, but why would either be resolved by a reload of the entire router? The first dialer/ATM interface work without a hiccup. Service on both WICs is from BT Wholesale resellers, so can't see why there should be in any difference in behaviour.

Reply to
alexd
Loading thread data ...

I don't know if the interface counters will increment however the cell counters in sh dsl int will, I would think.

Cells: 18485248 0 105869985 0

Hmmm. There may be ATM management stuff going on so it might be hard to work out.

Does the WIC have TX/RX lights. 877 routers do.

While you are there check the noise margins. I forget, I think 6dB is the min. Noise Margin: 11.0 dB 13.0 dB

You could reasonably easily check if there is a bug/hardware problem in the router by swapping the configuration and physical lines between the two interfaces and see if the problem follows.

You will only have to swap over the "dialer pool-member x" indices, I suspect.

If you have old software consider an upgrade.

What version do you have?

e.g post the equivalent - sh ver Cisco IOS Software, C870 Software (C870-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(15)T7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

Reply to
bod43

Running 1841 Software (C1841-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version 12.4(22)T, but I've logged a case with TAC now and will post the outcome.

Reply to
alexd

My view is that the problem is most likely in the the service provider, I have seen similar issues several times. I would try swapping round between the interfaces as suggested since this will provide hard information.

There may of course be a bug that TAC find. Not all bugs are available to users:-(

Reply to
bod43

That was my initial suspicion, but like I said, why would a reload ever fix this? Is there anyway to simulate a 'reload' for just one interface?

Reply to
alexd

Unplug cable from this interface and plug it back?

Regards, Andrey.

Reply to
Andrey Tarasov

Also:-

conf t int dialer x shut ! Maybe wait a few seconds if you like. no shut

can also try

int atm x ! I think either this or dialer will likely work

Shorter but does not always seem to work:- from exec mode (no conf t needed)

clear int dialer x or clear int atm x

Reply to
bod43

Alas it's remote so it's not an option [yet].

Sorry, should have mentioned I've tried both of these, to no avail.

I'll give that a shot.

Reply to
alexd

Ah! Well that suggests to me that you might have some problem with the router.

I don't resally know much about DSL technology however I would try leaving a few mins between the shut and no shut.

Definately try swapping the lines over between the cards.

It probably won't work since shut/no is 'stronger'. No I don't understand it really.

What about noise margin? Line errors?

post sh dsl int

Reply to
bod43

Here is how I would approach this.

1. Check over the sh dsl int for anomalies Post here if you like.

1. Try swapping lines over between the two interfaces. Change config as previously mentioned - 1 line per int.

If problem follows the line then get on to your provider.

If problem stays with the same WIC and slot:

Switch to non-"T" software. You should ony use T if you need the additional latest and greatest features.

Use 12.4(21a) or 22 mainline (guessing;) - no funny letters.

e.g. c1841-advsecurityk9-mz.124-22.bin

Test.

Try loading the latest DSL software if it is appropriate. Check release notes carefully to make sure they apply to your hardware. Post WIC part numbers of in doubt.

ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/access/800/ Firmware_Download_Readme_3_0_10.doc

Test.

1. I suppose you could try swapping the WICs over to see if the problem follows. I have heard rumours of counterfeit WICs too.
Reply to
bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.