Want DSL but my ISP doesn't provide it!

Hi folks - I've been with Earthlink for over the past 10 years and have been asking them for DSL for the same amount of time. I'm always told I'm 3.22 miles away from the 'Big-Head' - "But we're working on it . . ." Is there an independent company that provides DSL to Internet Operator's like myself that I can rent DSL from while keeping my account with Earthlink - until their 'Big-Head' get's closer to my phone/PC connection? Like, having DSL as an 'add-on' or whatever. I really enjoy Earthlink and don't want to change ISP's - but who wants to wait another 10 years for something that might not even be there? Thanks a lot! Billy

Reply to
Billy Goodson
Loading thread data ...

This only occasionally helps, but you can try dslreports.com to see if there are other providers available to you. If you are indeed 17,000 feet from the CO, it ought to work, as the limit is (IIRC) 18,000 feet...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

"Billy Goodson" wrote

Regardless of who the ISP is, your LEC (Local Exchange Carrier) is the one that actually provides the circuit to your house (in most markets).

SO.......

To find out if you can get DSL at all, call the company that provides you dial tone. If they do, you can get DSL that connects to another ISP but it really matters little what company provides your gateway to the net (ISP). You should be able to access everything you did before on Earthlink with only minor differences.

BUT.......

You will have to continue to pay for both the new DSL/ISP and Earthlink.

Reply to
Ken Abrams

Ken is correct, the only company that can truly tell if you can get DSL is your local phone company.

Reply to
Robert Carrick

Per Robert Carrick:

And maybe they could tell you if fiber is available/planned for your neighborhood...

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Yeah, but occasionally they don't exactly answer the question. Checking with dslreports.com has been known to show that a (for instance) Covad DSLAM is at the CO, so you can get service even when the telco tells you they don't {have,support,sell} DSL.

It's infrequently helpful, but as a last resort it's worth trying.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Well I just checked with DSL reports, and don't get me wrong I like the site. But it says I can get Covad cable, yet Time Warner is the Cable Provider, it also says I can get DSL, but since 9/11 you can no longer get DSL down in this part of the city. In fact not a soul down here has DSL or can get it.

Reply to
Robert Carrick

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.