Starting an ISP

Our company is thinking about starting an ISP. We're going to go ahead and register with RIPE (our company is based in UK) so we can get IP addresses. I know all about setting up nameservers, RADIUS, cost involved, etc, etc ...

but I need help with the following ... has anyone started an ISP and then asked the backbone provider (BT or MCI) to route IP addresses ? Also, what is the best way to regulate bandwidth when supplying DSL connection ? For example, if a client requests a 256kb line or a 512kb line or 1Mb ??

Thank you ...

Samit

Reply to
samit.sanganee
Loading thread data ...

Okay dokay.

Sure, thats a standard line item on installation worksheet you'll fill out with them. They'll do static routing or BGP, assign you IPs out of their pool, or announce your allocated IPs from RIPE or let you announce them out. Quite standard.

Depends totally on your gear and setup and vendor. I'll bet the vendor of the gear you choose has already solved it. Then it just becomes part of your provisioning process.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.