Starting for CCNP

I'm curently an CCNA and I am thinking about starting to learn for CCNP. Which one of the four exams would you recommend for starting. Which one would be easyest to learn and pass?

Reply to
Morph
Loading thread data ...

Heya,

I would definitely start with the Switching part (bcmsn), followed by routing (bsci) and then the other two (the order of those two does not matter...my opinion). Especially because you'll need switching and routing knowledge to understand MPLS.

Nobody can tell you the easiest way, because it depends on things you already know /you already had to deal with.....

Reply to
Bojan

Hello Bojan,

Are these tests difficult?

I read half the bcmsn book last night and really liked it. Easy to understand and not to technical.

Reply to
Helge Olav Helgesen

hi Helge,

I've made the composite exam (bcmsn + bsci) because i worked on cisco switching and routing environment for about three years, befor taking on ccnp, so on this courses I haven't heared something really new to me.

On the other hand, I would never recommend it to someone who's more a novice than an expert because it's a huge amount of informations you have to keep in mind (this stupid american way of learning stuff by rote, like admin. distances, tcp/udp ports and so forth...those informations, if needed, can be found within a few minutes searching the web)

Generally I would say that the exam was quite easy (even the easiest one) and if you understand the stuff which is imparted in this book, you'll pass with the smile on your face ;-)

cheerio

Reply to
Bojan

Stupid American way of learning eh? I'll be sure to give you a call when my network is down because some novice decided to mess with route redistribution, and doesn't remember administrative distances and thus can't figure out why routes are flapping or withdrawn. It'll be a little hard to refer to vendor websites or other resources when your network is down!

Bojan wrote:

Reply to
fugettaboutit

hi there,

well what should I say....It's your own fault, if you let a novice changing your routing topologies ;-)

Joke aside, our company has a huge network in which we are using three routing protocols, is-is, bgp and ospf....so, why the heck should someone learn the whole table?? And you have to keep in mind that such way of testing only seduce people to learn for the exam, forgetting the whole stuff a few weeks after.

Not really reasonable, isn't it?

At the end, I'd like to mention that the only way to find out if somebody has understood the knowledge beeing imparted is to AVOID multiple-choice-questions.....that's at least the european way of learning and teaching ;-)

However, I did not want to dis anybody with my statement.

Reply to
Bojan

Hello Bojan,

I have to disagree with you. Even though you have forgotten some details a few weeks after the test you still have learned a lot! In the end I believe you remember what to Google for when you need it! :)

Reply to
Helge Olav Helgesen

Haha...touche...this is true. :-)

I would have to agree that a non-multiple choice option would indeed help determine whether a person truly knows the material. Personally, I'd like to see more practical problem solving or solution implementation as opposed to merely learning facts.

Reply to
fugettaboutit

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.