Yagi usless for wardriving

So I haver brought a 14gb yagi and 2m pig tale - signal worse than in bulit card, any ideas ?

Reply to
www.amstereoradio.info
Loading thread data ...

How about some remedial spelling courses?

Reply to
prodigal1

"

formatting link
" hath wroth:

Nope. Some clue as to the maker and model of your wireless card, what type of coax cable the 2m pigtail is made from, how you are measuring the signal, and what you are trying to accomplish, would be helpful.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Well, yeah, of course it's probably worse. Using an antenna with a tightly directional coverage area isn't ever going to be useful for trolling around looking for wifi. You'd be better off with an omni or a sector antenna. What made you think a yagi, especially one with that much gain, was going to ever be good for wardriving?

Reply to
Bill Kearney

OK well you live and learn, I had thought it would be ok but obviously not. What about a parabolic type antenna is this better as it's more omni I guess

Reply to
www.amstereoradio.info

Wardiving I guess mostly. It's an Orinoco card and a 14db yagi. The pig tail is I guess some form of thin coaxial cable for the SHF freqs like 2.4 ghz

I guess with a pringle type antenna I would pull in a lot more ?

Reply to
www.amstereoradio.info

I made the below setup for war driving. I just put the USB adapter on the roof for general driving. I used the reflector when I wanted to check a weak or distant point.

formatting link

Reply to
Si Ballenger

"

formatting link
" hath wroth:

Very thin, about 0.1" OD, coax cable is VERY lossy. The 0.250" OD is somewhat better. Orinoco comes in many flavors. I guess a card means PCMCIA or CardBus.

Do you really want to "pull in a lot more"? Let's say you've got a GPS plugged into your unspecified computer and are driving around with a directional high gain antenna. You'll probably pickup signals from about 500ft away or more. Your GPS will locate this distant station at your location, not theirs. Great way to make an inaccurate map.

Long range also implies narrow beamwidth. You have to point your antenna at the access point. Point it some other direction, and you don't hear it. Wanna drive down the road spinning the antenna round and round? Do you get the picture? Are you claiming that the yagi is less sensitive because it sees fewer stations? I'm not suprised unless you're spinning the yagi round and round as you drive.

What little wardriving I've done is with two simple antennas. I hang an 8dBi panel antenna out the right side passenger window with a coax cable to the laptop. Such a panel antenna has a beamwidth of about 60 degrees which eliminates any need to rotate the antenna. It's not overly sensitive so my GPS locations are fairly close. On the way to my palatial office, I pickup all the AP's on one side of the road. On the way back, I get the other side.

The other way is with a USB radio and the included 1/4 wave monopole antenna mounted on the roof. USB cable to the laptop. That eliminates and coax cable and it's RF losses. I haven't found a great way to secure the USB radio, so I just wrap it in foam roll packing material and cram it under my luggage carrier. Hopefully, you can do better.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It's RG316 with 3.6db loss per 100m or 1m not sure, brought from

formatting link
as well as the 14db yagi

Orinoco comes in many flavors. I guess a card means

I mean PCMCIA but an OEM version with a BT logo on the sticker

I just want to see what I can get around my location, my PDA picked up over

40 networks just in my road. I was'nt planning to drive anywhere for now

Anyway I nave brought a pringle antenna off ebay just to see what happens !

Reply to
www.amstereoradio.info

"

formatting link
" hath wroth:

Try again. RG-316 is 1.2dB/meter. 6dB of loss will cut your detection (and transmission) range in half. Do the math.

My guess is this one:

formatting link
antenna doesn't look too horrible and should work.

That would be war walking, not war driving. Change your title.

Sigh. You must have money to burn.

Look carefully at the connect on the Orinoco something card you bought. They are easily mashed and destroyed.

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Well the site states 3.6db ? Sorry getting a bit too complex

It works but too directional apparently not the antenna for any form of war driving / walking / running or what ever !! Getting a somewhat pernickity are we not ?!

Yes Sir ! Stupid term anyway

Not expensive !

Reply to
www.amstereoradio.info

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.