WUSB54GS causing system to freeze?

Hello,

I recently purchased this adaptor for use on my Systemax 2.5GHZ desktop running XP Pro. This machine used to be rock solid but starting at or near the time I installed the adaptor, I began to noticed that the machine would freeze tight as a drum every so often.I don't know whether it matters, but my router is a Linksys WRT54GS. Sometimes, the PC will run for as long as 12 hours or more, other times, only a few hours before it locks up. The only thing that is consistent is that if left on long enough, it's not a matter of it but only when it will happen.

I'm not 100% sure that my freezing issues are due to this adaptor, but if not then it's one heck of a coincidence. I used to run this machine with an orinoco gold 802.11b pcmcia card in a PCI adaptor and could leave it on for days at a time. Unfortunately, I no longer have that adaptor and the machine isn't in the same room as my router, so testing with a hardwire connection would be a logistical nightmare. In an attempt to troubleshoot this issue among other things, I recently did a clean install of XP, but the problem persisted.

Has anyone seen this and if so, is there a solution?

TIA,

--Al

Reply to
Al Puzzuoli
Loading thread data ...

It sounds like a hardware or driver conflict. I might suggest updating your BIOS, all Windows updates (SP2 as well), and updating the firmware for your adaptor and router. It's typically one of these areas that will solve the problem. Once you have all of the updates done, you can cross that off your list and begin pursuing other options.

Reply to
asosatterdw

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.