WRT54GS Default Network

Hi all, I have a WRT54GS which of course defaults to a 192.168.1.0 class C network.

What I would like to have is a default network in a 172.24.0.0 range (specifically a 172.24.4.x range) which is really a class B network.

Is there anyway to convince the WRT54GS to supply such an addres? And can get the builtin DHCP to server addresses in the same range?

I have tried setting the routers IP through the config page, but after doing so I could not ping the router at the expected address (and yes my computer was also set for the same network)

Regards Peter

Reply to
peterem2000
Loading thread data ...

Peter,

Normally, if you set the internal (LAN) IP to a specific address, your DHCP scope will change to reflect that. However, most linksys devices only allow for a /24 (254 addresses) on them.

Chris

Reply to
NetSteady

OK, I'll bite. Why? I did have trouble last week with the defaults - every time I took my laptop into work a rogue DHCP server on 192.168.1.1 gave me the IP my router gave me the night before. I ended up changing my router to 192.168.22.1, because I might wait weeks before network admin tracks down this server. Anyway, having my router dish up anything unusual will likely solve that problem.

If you're using sveasoft firmware, Talisman lets you change it to _any_ class C address in the 192.168.0.0 range. I think you'd have to dig into the underlying Linux configuration to change it to anything else (which you _can_ do).

Reply to
Derek Broughton

The why is that I am using software for work that is keyed to a

172.24.4.x network as a copy protection device. Setting up a 172 based network will make things easier for me. Alternately whenever I use this software I will have to manually set my laptop to the required address.

I was hoping to get a 172 address without flashing the device, but I think I may have to.

Regards Peter

Reply to
peterem2000

well I tried setting the device to a 172.24.4.1 address. As you mentioned the device only really allows for a /24 network, as the best mask you can get is 255.255.255.0

I set those parameters via the admin page, and then set my laptop to

172.24.4.2 255.255.255.0 but I could not ping the WRT54GS .. I tried this a few times to see that I done it correctly, but in the end reverted back to my 192 adddress
Reply to
peterem2000

What was your computer's Gateway address set to?

-Yves

Reply to
Yves Konigshofer

Thanks .. that was it. While I had my laptops port set to a static address that matched the network the router was on, I didn't realise that I needed a gateway address. I assumed that I would not need one as I was pinging an address on the same segment. Obviously not. All my issues are solved now, and my *&^%& work software likes my laptop once again.

Reply to
peterem2000

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.