WRT54G questions

Is it sufficient to use the option "Permit only PCs listed to access the wireless network"* to restrict access to my wireless router, or should I be turning the wireless interface off when not in use?

*in the web-based management client.

This option appears to use a positive file of MAC addresses, and only those will get a link.

I've also turned off SSID broadcast, am using WPA2 Personal/AES . "Personal" looks like it means "don't rely on a RADIUS server." Yes?

Application is a very simple home network.

Not trying to be paranoid, just cautious.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill
Loading thread data ...

The most important thing you can do to "secure" a wireless LAN is to enable WPA (not WEP) on the router and on the clients; and, to use a long, non-obvious, shared key. If you are particularly sensitive, you may want to change the key monthly (or daily or hourly or ...); changing the key is a PITA, proportional to the number of stations (router & wireless PCs) you have.

Permit only PC listed helps a bit, but since a perp can easily duplicate the MAC of one of your allowed PCs, that doen't do much.

Turning off SSID broadcasts doesn't add much security, and will cause some problems when your clients go up&down. The SSID can be captured even if not broadcast.

Turning off the wireless side of your router is, IMHO, extreme. I don't have much faith in PC software to recover properly from being turned off&on, or from having its link-partner coming&going.

Reply to
Bob Willard

Nah :) Just a bit new to 802.11 and trying to research best practices.... a foreign node showed up while I was initially configuring the wireless router.

The present key reminds me a CHAP challenge string. Is there a reference for this?

The WRT54G supports having a new node "learn" by plugging in wired, so it's not too much of a hardship.

Fair enough.

Good to know. Thanks, Bob.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

HAHALOL I guess no one told you how to flip the internet switch? I guess not.. sucks for you.. maybe one day you will be kind enough to ASK your neighbor if you can use his internet OR buy your own.]

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

??? I'm posting this message thru the WRT54G.

I have a cable modem connection that I pay for hooked to the WRT54G. Check the path and From: on any of my messages - they all match.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

How foolish of me. That post was meant for the thread above this one with the subject "wireless help". Sorry.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

ROFL! No problem. I had actually wondered if that had happened.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.