WLAN Authentication Problem

I've already tried HP's support desk to no avail, but maybe someone here can give me some hints. I have an HP/Compaq NC4000 laptop with the HP W400 802.11b/g WLAN module running with Atheros Client Utility software. I've been using this laptop with my WLAN at home (D-Link 624 AP/router) with no problem for months, and it was working fine on Wednesday night. Then last night I tried to connect, and I couldn't get past the authentication stage. I had changed no settings from the previous night when it was working, so I don't know what's going on.

After several hours of troubleshooting and reinstalling software as directed by the HP support tech and changing various settings, I have discovered the following:

- When I try to use authentication, on the Atheros Client Utility screen, I see it saying "Authenticating..." but it never progresses past that. There is excellent signal strength. It goes from having no IP address to having one that starts 169.xxx.xxx.xxx, but the normal IP address for a successful connection starts at 172.xxx.xxx.xxx (that fits the IP address assigned to my router).

- I can connect with no problem as long as I don't use authentication. WEP encryption works fine. So there's nothing wrong with the radio or the basic WLAN module or router.

- None of the authentication schemes work.

- The router's log file shows that wireless authentication WAS successful. This indicates that the problem is not mismatched passphrases or pre-shared keys (which I've already changed and checked anyway). It seems like the laptop just doesn't know that authentication was successful for some reason.

- The laptop appears to have trouble receiving packets when I attempt to use authentication. The number of received packets is usually 0, or sometimes a very low number.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
ML
Loading thread data ...

Unfortunately the laptop has Windows 2000 so I do need the utility to show the signal strength. There's also no easy alternative to reset the parameters when I switch between wireless networks.

Reply to
ML

I normally use WPA with a passphrase or pre-shared key as the authentication scheme. That's more secure than WEP and it's one of the reasons I bought the router that I did instead of an older 802.11b router.

Reply to
ML

progresses

(that

couldn't

mis-configuration

authentication.

radio or

attempt

*network

If you are using WEP, the most secure authentication is open, not shared key. I know this doesnt fix your problem but maybe it will make you worry less about it

Reply to
Airhead

ML wrote in news:1106345401.514593 @cswreg.cos.agilent.com:

The 169. IP being assigned by the O/S means that the computer couldn't get a DHCP IP from the DHCP server on the router and it timed out. The

169. IP will allow the machine to access other machines on the LAN. The 169. IP will not allow access to the Internet, since the machine never got an IP from the router. This is due to some type of mis-configuration happening with the card or router or something could be defective with the card or the router. But 9 times out of 10, it's due to a mis- configuration.

authentication

I never use the card's utility and it's never installed as it can be trouble. I always go to O/S's Device Manager and install the driver and configure the card there too. If you're not using a XP O/S then you may need to card's utility to show signal strength. If it is a XP then you can go to the LAN Connection screen for the NIC and set show *network connection icon* which will show the signal strength when the icon has a mouse-over it done.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

ML wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@cswreg.cos.agilent.com:

Win 2K does have a Wireless Zero Configuration Service just like XP has but it's disabled by default. I don't know if it even works! ;-) But it's there. You may want to enable it and see if it buys you anything on switching between wireless networks. WZCS on XP lets you roam and it seeks out and connects to other wireless networks in the area.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.