Wireless Repair

I need to know how the "Repair" process work and which calls do it to the system. I want to implement the "Repair" process using C++ or, better, if I could to call this process directly from Windows XP. My wireless connection work fine at startup but if this connection go down only a "Repair" call can establish it again.

Reply to
john Voight
Loading thread data ...

On 5 Mar 2007 09:48:00 -0800, "john Voight" wrote in :

See the script at , which essentially does the Repair process, but uses release/renew instead of disable/enable.

Reply to
John Navas

I've seen that script but don't work like "Repair". I do a simple thing: At boot my notebook wireless is connected with no ploblems. If I close this connection that script is unable to reconnect it and the Repair yes. What is the difference between the script and Repair? Do you know the Repair procedure or where is possible to find it?

Reply to
john Voight

On 6 Mar 2007 08:05:59 -0800, "john Voight" wrote in :

The only thing Repair does differently that would affect your issue is disable-enable. (It also flushes caches at the end, but that wouldn't have any bearing on your issue.)

As a developer (?) you should know that the script points you in the right direction and can be easily adapted to other purposes. All you have to do is look up (say) the RenewDHCPLease Method in the script on MSDN to see what other Methods are available in the Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration Class and the adjacent Win32_NetworkAdapter Class. (Hint: Disable and Enable are Methods of the parent Win32_NetworkAdapter Class.)

Reply to
John Navas

Apart from "Academic Exercise" why do you wish to do this? It doesn't get much simpler than rt click on the wireless icon, in system tray, and choose "Repair" from the menu.

Reply to
Kev

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 17:07:55 +0000, Kev wrote in :

Sounds like he needs or wants to automate the process so he doesn't have to keep doing that manually. But frankly I think a much better bet would be to fix whatever is causing the connection to need repair.

Reply to
John Navas

Exact. I need to automate this process becouse I have two pc running

24H and connected with internet a quarter of the day. If I aren't near the pc's I want to be sure they are connected to the net. In case the connection go down I need a process that restablish it. Answering to your "question" where you say "a developer (?)" i can say that at moment I use VC6 and is impossible to implement .NET with it and I can't to use a lot of code that can help to control wireless adapters. I could upgrade my VC but I consider it, for some kind of programming, better than the new Visual Studio products. I would to use the WRAPI.dll but it require header files that are in the SDK for Vista, and I have XP. I can change all to upgrade everytime there is a new version of OS or Developing tools. Some days ago I wrote a code that enable/disable adapter, reset cache repair IP address e reregister DNS and update the lease DCHP. I think this could be enough but "Repair" work better than my code and, hear, than your script. I can see that "Repair" connect at first shot and just when it enable the adapter calling the wireless zero configurazion process. Here is my doubt. What are its magic calls that repair the connection very well. At last I can't find any error in my wireless connection and in my wireless configuration. To be most precise this errors are not always I open a connection but sometime and without cause. It crash always if I set my pc in StandBy or Suspended mode and after I restart it again. This kind of problems happens only when I use wep or wpa and is ok if I set the wireless connection as "open".This make me to think the problem is in the protected login. Any idea, genius (?) ;-)
Reply to
john Voight

On 6 Mar 2007 11:19:26 -0800, "john Voight" wrote in :

Windows XP will do that automagically by itself. If that's not happening, then you probably have serious signal issues that should be fixed, which would make more sense (IMnsHO at least) than trying to automate Repair. Get thee high-gain directional antenna(s).

Don't agree -- my tests of Disable-Enable worked just as well as Repair.

Don't think so.

There are no "magic" calls.

You've obviously got a serious problem, or you wouldn't need to Repair the connection. I suggest you focus on that, and not waste time looking for "magic".

What does "crash" mean? The computer locks up? BSOD? Spontaneous reboot? What?

Sounds like a driver issue. Try a better wireless product. Cheap, fast, reliable -- pick any two (at most).

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.