Wireless network requirements

I am looking to install a wireless network into a property, which already has a Cat5 cable infrastructure.

I would like the wireless AP's (54g) to use the same SSID allowing for users to roam between rooms with no loss of service. Can you suggest a make/model which would fit in well to this environment? Would they operate on different channels or use the same one? There is likely to be three or four AP's.

Other than the standard Netgear / Linksys / Buffalo, what brands are used in more commercial installations (other than Cisco?)

I'm also looking for a reliable ADSL router, which has a minimum of 4 Ethernet ports, but preferably 5+, is there such a thing? If not, would I use a regular switch to increase the Ethernet capacity?

Are there any other considerations I should take into account when installing this network?

Reply to
Chrishow
Loading thread data ...

Yes, it is a big place, but it benefits from having CAT5 structured caballing installed.

I will be installing three APs in different corners of the property and I've performed a site survey, so should give maximum coverage.

Any recommendations on brands or Wireless AP?

Reply to
Chrishow

a 4 port ADSL router hooked into an 8 or 16 port switch will work fine, so would a one port for that matter.

Is this a big place if it needs multiple access points ?

Phil

Reply to
Phil Thompson

not 'specially, I was quite impressed by some Buffalo kit I used, it has a system called "AOSS" for security setup and an intrusion detection feature.

seemed well made and the manuals and stuff all hung together, plus no obvious firmware bugs, which made a change.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Thompson

i use alot of Dlink and they work excellent in a commercial setting.

Reply to
ruez46

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.