wireless bandwidth formulas?

If I have an app that uses 5Mps of bandwidth, how do I figure out how many connections of my app will run across a wireless technology like

802.11 that say's it's 54Mps or even Wimax which is 70Mps? Is it as simple as 70Mps / 5Mps = 14 streaming data links?
Reply to
William
Loading thread data ...

I'm a bit concerned with your abrev. Is 5Mps "millions of packets per second" or is it "millions of bits per second". I'll assume the latter.

Well, 802.11a/b/g do NOT run at a fixed thruput. I'll assume TCP instead of UDP to make my life easier. If you have a 54Mbit/sec wireless connection, the most you can get for TCP thruput is about

25Mbits/sec. If you have a crappy signal and can only connect at 5.5Mbits/sec, you'll be lucky if you can get 2Mbits/sec thruput. See the table at:

for the maximum speeds.

Once you've determined what thruput you can run at, then just divide that speed by your 5Mbits/sec bandwidth as you indicated.

WiMax is quite different from 802.11a/b/g. The connection speed is set by the ISP at the central access point. No ISP is going to give you the full 70Mbits/sec connection speed because that would leave no bandwidth for any other users. Basically, your bandwidth is a function of your signal strength (which limits the bit or packet error rate), and what your ISP will give you. Interference, QoS, load limits, quotas, and other users will contribute to additional slowing.

If you're thinking of wireless video, compression methods have a huge effect on thruput.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.