windows not automatically connecting to wifi network?

Hi all... I helped a friend hook up his wireless connection. HP pavilion laptop. Linksys WRT54G router. broadcom 802.11 b/g WLAN adapter . xp home sp2 loaded.

No problem getting the wireless connection up and running. Here is the dilemma. Upon a cold boot or reboot windows cannot automatically hook up to the network. The wireless icon in the right corner says it is not connected. So I went into services, clicked on WZCSVC wireless zero config. The service status is always at stopped. I manually start the service and then close the window. I then click on the wireless network icon in the bottom right corner. It tells me windows cannot configure the wireless connection. At the bottom left of that window I choose advanced settings. Broadcom 802.11 b/g WLAN box appears. 2nd tab is wireless networks. I click on that tab and check use windows to configure my wireless network settings. Close out the box and windows finds the network and all is perfect after that. Strong signal, great reception anywhere in the house.

The problem is upon a cold boot, reboot, or coming off stand by the connection to the wireless network is lost (he must click on his name to get back into windows .NET framework is loaded). To reestablish connection I had to go back into services, WZCSVC was stopped. Needed to manually start and go through the process stated above. It is only then that windows can find the network and all works properly. So I guess what I am saying is that somehow the wireless zero config (WZCSVC) is being stopped and under his broadcom adapter the use windows to configure my wireless network is being unchecked. Again it happens after a cold boot, reboot, or coming back from stand by.

What is causing this? Could it be the .NET framework? I don't have much experience with wi fi but from what I tinkered with these steps are not necessary to connect wirelessly.

Hope I was clear in the post and any info would be appreciated.

Thx...

DC

Reply to
mookytc
Loading thread data ...

NO. I have all three versions of dotnet on my laptop with a broadcom chipset (HP) and WZC starts just fine. I would look to see what the management software for the adapter might be doing. But to the point of your question nothing in stock dotnet would be shutting the service down.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

There's probably a Broadcom wireless utility interfering with Windows. If so, uninstall it.

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks John..uninstalling the utility will not affect the performance of the adapter?

DC

Reply to
mookytc
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Not if the driver remains installed. You may have to uninstall everything, and then reinstall just the driver.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.