What are the "real life" speeds for Wireless N ?

I just purchased a wireless N router. My previous router was a Netgear G router, and I did some test over wireless for transfer speed

Old Netgear G router

1.09 GB file - 650 seconds to transfer from my PC to my Mac = 13.7 Mb/ sec

New Linksys N router

1.09 GB file - 238 seconds to transfer from my PC to my Mac = 37.5 Mb/ sec

Wireless N is claimed to be up to 130Mb/sec. What is the real life speeds? It seems like I should be getting more than just 37.5 Mb/sec.

Reply to
cajunmonkey
Loading thread data ...

Any particular maker and model Pre-802.11n Draft 2 router? There are substantial differences between the spacial multiplexing and the beam steering varieties.

I get 13.4 Mbits/sec. Somewhat slow.

Not too horrible. The best you can do with 802.11g at 54Mbits/sec is about 25 Mbits/sec thruput.

There have been some benchmarks run by Tim Higgins: "Cheap Draft 802.11n Router Roundup" (7 page). The performance numbers are a graph, where thruput is measured against path loss (i.e. signal strength). At very low path loss, the MIMO routers tested were able to do 50-70 mbits/sec in the 20MHz mode, and

60-70 mbits/sec in the 40MHz mode. Average thruput varied from 48 to 78Mbits/sec depending on model.

You can probably find your routers listed on the performance charts at:

Looks like various wireless "N" routers go from 44 to 59 Mbit/sec.

If you plan to do some more benchmarking, I suggest you download and use Iperf and Jperf:

Actually, you don't need to download iperf as the Jperf download includes the Iperf binary. This tutorial explains how to use both Iperf and Jperf:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yah but-- this 1.09GB file is 8.72Gbit file at 0.130Gbit/sec =67 sec. But There is a lot of over head. At least packet conversions to use TCP/IP. Error checking. FAT adjustments (I don't know what MAC's use maybe FAT 32)? Drive speeds and buffer sizes. Things go on that we don't know about or have any control over like interupts to do screen updates. JPS JPS

Reply to
jpsga

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.