WARNING: Known bad versions of DD-WRT in the database!

I just wasted a great deal of time and money and very nearly lost my client trying to get Build 13064 (VINT std) to work reliably on a Linksys WRT54GS v1. Symptom was the router spontaneously restarting every few minutes, taking the wireless network down, driving my client up the wall.

Finally solved the problem by flashing Build 12533.

My mistake was trusting the DD-WRT Database recommendation of Build

13064. Only afterward did I find it's a known bad build for this hardware!

This is crap, a really dumb problem that needs to be fixed without delay. But it probably won't be -- Powers That Be don't seem to care.

MORAL: If you're going to use DD-WRT, be *sure* to first check the appropriate DD-WRT Forum to see what's been working well for your particular hardware:

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

And when you check a forum, follow the advice that all the DD-WRT gurus give: Read the Announcements at the beginning of the forum, especially the Peacock thread. At least two of the announcements say don't rely on the router-selection database for choice of Build, and I'm fairly sure that at least one says don't use 13064 (as does the signature of one of the more active forum gurus). Under the Broadcom forum, there are several threads which suggest the best builds to use for many routers (and I presume that's true under the Atheros forum). In the case of DD-WRT, the slogan is RTF (read the forum), but also read the Wiki.

By the way, I use build 12533 on a Linksys 160N version 1 (as a repeater bridge), and it's very stable and effective. I use Build 13575 on an ASUS RT-N16, and it's equally stable and effective. Those seem to be two very good builds. Some of the latest builds are getting a good reputation, too, but I see no reason to tinker.

Neil

Reply to
NeilG

Which just screams out how pathetic a 'client base' he's got. Seriously.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

I am only an amateur and always careful with any f/w. I have been using dd-wrt from the days of WRT54G and I am on E3000(=WRT610N-V2) now. Isn't this a case of expert bungling?(maybe in a case of haste)

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The fact you bothered to comment screams "loser"

Reply to
atec7 7

Pot, kettle?

Reply to
Bill Kearney

of course but I have no gain in mind so I qualify as bored

Reply to
atec7 7

On Fri, 21 May 2010 16:08:53 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote in :

'Those who have evidence will present their evidence, whereas those who do not have evidence will attack the man.'

Depends on what you mean by bungling and by haste. I used the recommended firmware, and I tested for roughly an hour, which was both reasonable in my professional opinion and all I could justify on this small a low-end job. The issue was a result of my tests not catching the particular failure mode, but it's not possible to test everything, and I concentrated on stress tests, not basic operation. My mistake was in assuming DD-WRT wouldn't be so incompetent or irresponsible (take your pick) as to keep recommending a release many months after it has been found to be bad. This says much more about DD-WRT than about anything else.

Reply to
John Navas

I have been using DD-WRT for years and I can confirm that it just keeps getting more complicated to go grab the version you need for a router, especially a Broadcom based one. With two (or more ) differnet SETs of releases for dozens of devices, it's easy to end up with a version that has known problems, but fixed something or another, so they keep it out there.

And yes searching and reading posts for an hours or two will help assure success. Especially if you find the right thread and follow the right advice by the right guy.

On the positive side, they now have a wizard for directing you to the correct version for your router. I can't tell how accurate it is in general, but at least it's done by the powers in charge. As somebody said, the Wiki is open for anybody to insert bad info into.

For the routers that can use it, Tomato is an excellant alternative firmware. Clean simple, a few key features, works.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsl

On Tue, 25 May 2010 08:42:59 -0700 (PDT), seaweedsl wrote in :

Actually a negative, since that's what's handing out the bad information on what release to use! And the "powers in charge" (brainslayer and/or whoever else they might be) don't seem to give a shitte.

I may well give it a try.

Reply to
John Navas

eh, the UI was rather lacking in setting up what little features the firmware offered. Yes, it's an option but one I didn't see as worthwhile for situations where dd-wrt works.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Recommended best builds of DD-WRT:

• 12-28-09 13525 (highest/latest recommended build) * 09-08-09 12874 * 07-21-09 12533 (working well for me in multiple locations)

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.