WAP54G connectivity ?

Hi, I am using a WAP54G, firmware 2.07, in repeater mode of a WRT54G. I am accesing the WAP54G via an IBM Thinkpad T40 (miniPCI cisco card, and Aironet Client Utility from Cisco, V 6.2.012)

This combination works nice, I have good signal from the WAP54G, however there are "mini-cuts" to the connectivity, of no more than let's say one second. That's enough for my machine to show a 'network down' message, that automatically turns into 'network up', however for certain applications I use that 'down-1-second-later-up' thing is enough for cancelling them (for instance if I use streaming of any kind, like the popular skype VoIP application). This situations happens in average once every 10 minutes.

Something else: If I choose to connect directly from the T40 to the WRT54G ( in the exact physical location the WAP54G lies ), that does not happen, so I am pretty sure this is related with the connectivity between either my T40 and the WAP54G, or the connectivity between the WAP54G and the WRT54G.

Maybe this could be resolved seting up some timeout parameter somewhere. Using the web based utility of both the WTR54G and of the WRT54G I do not see any parameter to adjust .... Other possibility. May be I have to place the WAP54G much closer to the WRT54G to avoid this behaviour .... May be because the WRT54G and the WAP54G are connected to 54Mbts/sec and that is a much more sensitive connection ...

Any help will be appreciatted.

Regards Andres

Reply to
Andres Dagotto
Loading thread data ...

'network

connectivity

Seems the common fix for the 10 minute problem is to uncheck "Use

802.1x authentication" under the wireless network tab called Authentication.
Reply to
Airhead

54Mbts/sec

Just noticed you were using a cisco client utility. If let windows control the connection is unchecked then the last answer probably does not apply.

One other thing you might check is to see if you are using PSP (Power Save Polling) It will be in the driver config. PSP allows the adapter card to go to sleep to save power. It only wakes up to listen for the next Beacon time to see if the AP has anything for it then it goes back to sleep. You can test this by putting in CAM mode.

Reply to
Airhead

Thanks for your answer.

1- Correct, I am running the Aironet Client Utility (ACU) from Cisco 2- In Wireless Status -> Properties -> Wireless Network -> Wireless Network Properties -> Authentication, the 802.2x authentication is not selected 3- I was/am using Constantly Aware Mode (CAM)

Any other ideas ? Once more, thanks for your help

Reply to
Andres Dagotto

I am assuming you are running Windows XP and not knowing exactly what the Wireless Zero Config does in the background while using a different utility or if it even starts at all, I would verify that the service is not running. If it is, stop it and try again. If it is running it will probably start up after each reboot. You can do this by Start/Run type in cmd then at the prompt type services.msc Look for the WZC service and see if it is started, is so highlight, right click and select stop.

Reply to
Airhead

Thanks. The service was running, and I had stop it. Let's see what happens ... The startup time is 'automatic' I read you do not know what it does, but probably you have a rough idea on that, right. So, what does the WZC do ?

Regards Andres

Reply to
Andres Dagotto

"Black Shuck" A friend of mine has one of these, and it's the biggest pile of shit I

I own a wap54g, and I honestly have had very dependable service from it so I cant complain about the product. What I do think, is that there are still some interoperability problems between hardware of various vendors. In my best opinion, use the same hardware for the Ap as you do the adapters and you will usually be better off. The wifi alliance certifies equipment according to IEEE standards and alot of companies go outside the standards...........i.e like 108 speeds and turbo etc

Reply to
Airhead

A friend of mine has one of these, and it's the biggest pile of shit I have seen, it's totally useless if you want to host a website on your LAN, and use the routers port forwarding, as it falls over after a hour or so, making the site unavailable. firmware updates, and playing with settings has done nothing to cure these problems. The wireless range is also pretty dire.

Needless to say ebuyer washed their hands, and Linksys are about as usefull as a chocolate fireguard..

Frankly I expected better from a cisco company, if anyone is considering one, don't... Pay a bit more and get a Draytek Vigor...

Reply to
Black Shuck

My experience with Linksys products has been also good so far (crossing fingers).

Going back to my 'down-1-second-later-up' problem, looks like turning off the "Wireless zero config" service helps. I will continue testing this.

Airhead, any idea on what this service does ?

Regards Andres

Reply to
Andres Dagotto

On 4 Dec 2004 17:24:12 -0800, Andres Dagotto spoketh

WZC is microsofts generic wireless client software. It manages connections to wireless networks in the same fashion that vendor-specific client does.

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 23:29:57 +0000, Black Shuck spoketh

You are confusing the WAP54G with another product. The WAP is a simple access point, and doesn't have any router settings, port forwarding or anything else. I have a WAP54G myself, and it is a very reliable and stable product.

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.