Verizon sues FCC, says "net neutrality lite" rules illegal

formatting link
Verizon dropped a bomb on the FCC's net neutrality plans today, asking a federal appeals court to "vacate, enjoin, and set aside" the signature accomplishment of FCC Chair Julius Genachowski.

The company loves the open Internet, it says, just so long as no one can, well, enforce that openness. Verizon's deputy general counsel said in a statement today that "Verizon has long been committed to preserving an open Internet and meeting the needs of our customers... [But] we are deeply concerned by the FCC's assertion of broad authority for sweeping new regulation of broadband networks and the Internet itself. We believe this assertion of authority goes well beyond any authority provided by Congress, and creates uncertainty for the communications industry, innovators, investors and consumers."

The lead attorney on the case is Helgi Walker of major DC tech law firm Wiley Rein. If the name sounds familiar, it should; Walker previously worked on the Comcast lawsuit against the FCC, the one in which the cable giant argued that even the FCC attempt to have it stop mucking about with P2P transfers was illegal.

Comcast famously won that case in early 2010, throwing into confusion the FCC's entire legal argument for net neutrality. Walker is now making the same arguments to the court, but this time for Verizon.

"In Comcast," she points out, "this Court previously held that the FCC had failed to justify its exercise of authority over the broadband Internet access service at issue in that case." Now the FCC "again attempts to justify its assertion of regulatory authority" with a new set of open Internet rules approved on December 23-but Walker says they suffer from the same lack of authority that doomed the FCC in the Comcast case.

Verizon wants the entire net neutrality order tossed by the appellate court.

Reply to
NotMe
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

It is about time some one did that the FCC is out of its mind.

Reply to
Rick

formatting link
>

Looks to me like Congress needs to step up and actually give the FCC the powers that it thinks it already has. If the FCC can't stop what's going on, then no one can.

Reply to
Char Jackson

What's "going on" that needs to be stopped by police power of The State?

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Net neutrality, or the potential lack thereof.

I'm not sure I can boil it down to a sentence, but essentially it's about a few entities that control a lot of the Internet trying to position themselves in a way that benefits themselves but harms consumers.

Reply to
Char Jackson

They "control" the Internet because they own the hardware over which your traffic travels.

And what's wrong with that, exactly?

By "harms," do you mean "requires them to pay for the services they receive?"

Reply to
Bert Hyman

No, that's not what I mean. I guess it depends on how you feel about net neutrality.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Then what did you mean?

Net neutrality means having the government force the owners and operators of the networks to operate them in a way other than the way they, as the owners and operators, might choose to.

Why is it the role of The State to force these carriers to operate their systems in ways that don't benefit them?

Reply to
Bert Hyman

I see the problem as monetizing the service. And it's already in place. Some have had problem with alternative VoIP services where the ISP gives preference to their service and places blocks in the way of services by other providers.

I have, personally, had important emails blocked (actually bit bucketed) as the provider has an application that decides what is and is not spam. In the case of several ISPs there is NO adult supervision of the program. It is what it is and it does what it does and there is no way for anyone (say a reasonable adult) to fix the errors.

Reply to
NotMe

Actually it is worse because it also means that if I want to spend some of my OWN money for faster or more expedited access I can't because someone else may not be able to afford it.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

The latter of which NN doesn't address.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Agreed.

Your use of "The State" throws me, but I assume you're just being cute and referring to the Federal Government. Anyway, if not the Federal Government, then who? I'd certainly prefer a national policy versus a hodgepodge of state policies, but either would seem to be preferable to letting the owners do as they please, right?

Reply to
Char Jackson

I don't think it means that at all, but of course you didn't define what you mean by faster or more expedited access, so there's plenty of wiggle room.

Reply to
Char Jackson

That is the exact problem that the FCC ruling caused.

Reply to
Rick

No there is no wiggle room if the FCC allows companies to limit bandwidth.

Reply to
Rick

Please elaborate.

Reply to
Char Jackson

So it's the role of the Federal government to force the carriers to operate against their own interests?

When they figure this out, do you think they might stop building or maintaining their networks?

You prefer a central planned economy over a free society?

There are examples of that all over the world, throughout history; why repeat that failed experiment again?

Reply to
Bert Hyman

The wiggle room was that he didn't explain what he meant by faster or more expedited access. Access to what, specifically?

Also, I have no idea what you mean by "if the FCC allows companies to limit bandwidth". If Net Neutrality dies, companies will be free to limit bandwidth as they see fit. The FCC is trying to prevent that, not allow it, or have you switched sides?

Reply to
Char Jackson

In cases like this, yes.

Of course not.

Huh?

Double huh?

Reply to
Char Jackson

It should be self-explanatory, especially in this context. Net neutrality means if I pay $40 a month, I get the same bandwidth and usage as someone paying $80 (to use completely made up number of course).

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.