USB adapters with chip antenna

Linksys WUSB54 and WUSB11:

formatting link
DLlink 122:
formatting link
don't have a photo, but I unsoldered the PIFA antenna, attached an SMA connector in its place, and connected it to an external patch antenna. It's current running on a neighbors rooftop.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

I have been using some small reasonably cheap USB 802.11b/g adaptors obtained from a local electronics store under their own branding (Dick Smith Electronics for Aus and NZ) but these are now non-stock.

We remove the flip up chip antenna and wire directly to a biquad with minimal lead length. Performance on the end of a USB cable is excellent.

Are there any suggested or recommended small USB units with similar antenna that can be readily removed and the unit fitted to the rear of the biquad as in the past? They need to have driver availability for Win98 thru to Win XP.

Peter

-- Visit our website at

formatting link

Reply to
Pierre

Maybe Jeff can comment on this observation. The Network Everywhere NWU11B seems to be very similar to the Linksys WUSB11 with a diffirent color case. They can sometimes be found on clear outs very inexpensively. This model can be tricky to set up non XP if you allow the computer to reboot after the software install ( before inserting USB connection). Funny part is that Windows itself often tells you to reboot before attaching the USB connection. After reading the manual you discover the working procedure is to attach the cable after software install with no reboot. Hence the clearouts.

Pierre wrote:

Reply to
frankdowling1

I have found that generally a B/G version appears to be a bit more sensitive than a straight B version alone by a couple of dB hence looking for G versions even though they are operating a B units, The distances being covered around out local neighbourhood mean that we must optimise for best signal and that extra couple of dB just improves our margins. Pierre

Reply to
Pierre

The FCCID tells the tale. They do seem to have different FCCIDs, but looking at the photos on the FCC web site might show that they are the same under the plastic.

Linksys WUSB11 2.6: FCC ID PKW-WUSB11 Network Everywhere NWU11B FCC id 07J-GL2411USB

I didn't see these on the units themselves, but they are listed as such in some Linux WiFi forums.

Reply to
dold

Sorry, no clue. I'm too lazy to compare internal photos on the FCCID web pile. However, even if they were identical, various vendors have been known to enhance and extend software based features. For example, the common GL2422 hardware is almost identical for all the following units:

formatting link
the firmware is anything but identical.

PKW is Cisco-Linksys in Irvine.

That's O7J not Zero 7J as in Global Sun Tech in Taiwan.

Where did you find the list? I've been looking for a hardware list with FCCID numbers so I wouldn't have to beg for details when answering questions. The FCCID search tool is rather clumsy and often fails to find things that I know are there.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Which doesn't mean much... Sometimes you'll find that a "brand name" device has an FCC-ID directly from the true manufacturer. Netgear always has their own, even if the widget appears identical to something else. (Jeff knows this, just tossing some light out for others.)

Google Linksys WUSB11 FCC-ID

For the Orinoco, the reverse is immediately amusing, since most of the myriad re-branders of that once-excellent card didn't get their own FCC-ID.

It seems that I can't get to the query screen directly. If I get there via one other screen, it works, if I get there via another link that I have stored, it doesn't work. There is some caching going on, so once it works, either path works. Sometimes the pdf files aren't available, as the OP noted. Sometimes it works.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.