Updated Linksys router wirelessly

You're fine. The danger was having the firmware upload be interrupted or corrupted during the minute or so that it takes to upload. Any interference from other wireless users could easily crash the firmware upload resulting in comatose router. However, even if this happened, there are instructions for "de-bricking" a WRT54G on various web sites. Consider yourself lucky and don't do that again.

Plug: Look into alternative firmware for the WRT54G such as:

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

I have a Linksys WRT54G router and I recently updated the router's firmware over the wireless connection. Unfortunately I didn't realize that this was a no-no until after I had already completed the update.

Despite that, the router seems to be working okay. My question is, have I done any sort of permanent damage to the router even though the update was successful and everything seems to be working okay?

Reply to
Deuteros

Hi, When you DL something like that there is mechanism attached to check the integrity of file. So if your DL went OK, nothing to worry about. If you want to, you DL by wire and reflash the firmware. Line errors can happen on wire or wireless. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yes except that the most extreme requires soldering in a connector to the JTAG port, making up a cable to plug into the PC parallel port, then act like an octopus while shorting out the flash ram using two hands while then plugging in the power cable using your other two hands.

Then send across a new loader followed by reset and then tftp the next part.

Been there done that! :)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.