UK, England - Wireless Link @ 5GHz

Hi Guys,

I am not sure if electromagnetic regulations are exactly the same in all EU countries, that's why I will rather ask...

I am planning to build a wireless link between two buildings @5GHz, it would be more less 15 miles. My questions are:

- what band at 5GHz can I use in the UK?

- can I use up to 1W EIRP?

- is it possible to use more than 1W EIRP? (if I have a licence or sth). If yes, where can I get the licence from?

Thank you, Martin

Reply to
Martin Lukasik
Loading thread data ...

Hello Martin,

ML> is it possible to use more than 1W EIRP? (if I have a > licence or sth). If yes, where can I get the licence > from?

I was about to suggest checking on the Radiocommunication Agency site because they used to have nice little guides to various radio services (perhaps including the one you're interested in). Apparently the RA has been replaced by something called Ofcom

formatting link
Hopefully there's something relevant on their site. Failing that, you could probably telephone them.

Hope this helps, - Andy.

Reply to
Andy Ball

Try this...

formatting link

Reply to
Andy Ball

Okay, I missed...

formatting link

Reply to
Andy Ball

Brilliant. That is what I was looking for... Thank you. So they require a licence, but it's not expensive and EIRP is 2W. (In EU is 1W, some countries 100mW).

Thank you, Martin

Reply to
Martin Lukasik

I wonder if you could make do with a Wi-Fi access point on each end and use high gain yagi antennas to cover the distance. I have heard of people being able to "talk" many miles using such a setup.

formatting link

Reply to
Jim Volstad

Hello Jim,

JV> I wonder if you could make do with a Wi-Fi access > point on each end and use high gain yagi antennas to > cover the distance.

A high-gain Yagi increases your effective radiated power (increases the the amount of your radiated power that goes in a given direction), which might effect license requirements.

- Andy.

Reply to
Andy Ball

aiui, in the US that's permissible for point-to-point connections, too, so it's worth checking if the same is true in the UK.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.