TiVo

I want to buy a TiVo to replace my Comcast DVR, I have a home network running a Netgear WGT624 v3 108Mbps. TiVo wants $90 for their Wireless N and $60 for Wireless G

Most forums say I have to buy their devices b/c they are "optimized for Tivo".

Is there going to be a significant difference in the N v.s G spped and why not a bridge and access point?

Reply to
Krazee Brenda
Loading thread data ...

Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, Krazee Brenda chose the tried and tested strategy of:

I find the max speed I get with N to be more than 2x what I can get with G, so yes, it's faster. However, are you going to be streaming to/from the Tivo locally? If not, then your internet connection may be the bottleneck rather than the wireless connection to the Tivo.

Why indeed. You may have a TV, Blueray player or games console located near the Tivo that have ethernet and want internet access too.

Reply to
alexd

Thanks this makes more sense in all respects.

Reply to
Krazee Brenda

Krazee Brenda wrote on [Mon, 3 Jan 2011 20:54:40 -0500]:

Do the tiVo adapters support WPA yet?

Reply to
Justin

tivos are usb, not ethernet... tivo adapter plugs into the usb place on the tivo, convert to ethernet, and connects to your home network.... bridges and ap's are usually ethernet, you want usb tivos are linux, linux client does support wpa, but only some usb-wifi dongles are supported by the tivo client (went thru 5 i had laying around, finally gave up and just bought a tivo one) no real major speed diff between g and n

Reply to
Peter Pan

I guess I'm hallucinating that my TiVo is currently transferring some programs, via ethernet cable, to my laptop.

Reply to
danny burstein

some older s2's had wired ethernet, but newer s2's/s3's and s2's/dual tuners have usb

Reply to
Peter Pan

I think you've got that backwards. All Series2 DT and later models have built-in Ethernet as well as USB. Older models lacked wired Ethernet.

TiVo's wireless adapters are USB devices, but an Ethernet-to-wireless adapter or "bridge" should also work with any Ethernet-equipped TiVo, as it ought to be transparent to the client device.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Indeed, as I used a set of "powerline" ethernet adapters to hook up my TiVo a couple of years ago. (I've since switched it to 802.11, but still sometimes use an ethernet cable between the TiVo and my laptop for large file transfers).

Reply to
danny burstein

not exactly.. the unit i have right here in front of me is an older s2 with a wired ethernet jack/port and no usb port (it's an s2 but NOT a s2dt.... drove me nuts trying to figger out how to connect it to the home network)

so much for the answers... i never say "all".. cause some smart*ss like me will find the exception that makes use of "all" a lie :)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Peter Pan wrote on [Sat, 29 Jan 2011 01:15:38 -0500]:

What does Linux being able to support WPA have to do with TiVo supporting WPA? I know when I set the box up a couple of years ago it did not support WPA

Reply to
Justin

the tivos are linux devices, and the linux software the tivo runs/tested/upgraded too a while back only supported wep - now supports wpa (if you change your network settings, it asks about security)

point of it being a linux box was the (cheap) wifi dongles sold for windows, instead of the tivo/wifi the op asked about, don't always work, they usually have to understand linux and have tivo compatibility (tivo software linux client only understands some devices, (but if you happen to be a linux programmer/hardware nerd you can write your own routine and emulate one - linux doesn't exactly use drivers like windows does), and the ones tivo sells have definately been tested and work, if you get something else (cheaper) it's a crapshoot if it will work or not..

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.