Temporary Lag in Online Wireless Gaming?

Hi all,

I recently had a Cable Modem installed downstairs of which i had a wireless router attached to serve three computers.

Unfortunately despite a relatively low ping (around 150) i keep getting temporary lag (lasting upto ten seconds) every so often in all online games i have tried so far (such as Quake 3 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein), resulting in my ping ranging between 600-999.

Can i ask what do you think would cause this, could it be the modem installed by the cable company, the router, or just wireless networking in general (by the way my broadband speed is 0.5mb and upload is

128kb)?

Thanks for your time

Def

Reply to
deforce
Loading thread data ...

I had the same problem.. until I changed channel on the wif.. it went away.

Sounds like RF interference...

Regards,

Doz

Reply to
Doz

Def, are you on ntl? If so, their minimum speed is 1MB, so call their engineers and they will upgrade you. If not, well, ntl recommend a 1MB pipe for online gaming (but maybe this was a ruse to get peole to upgrade their subscription..?).

I had a similar experience with my media centre (static IP), cabled to the WiFi router. One of my server PCs is WiFi to the router and I used to get lag when playing back large .AVI files across this wireless portion of the network. When I made the server PC static IP, thi problem seemed to go...

Reply to
__spc__

Spc - i am on Telewest 0.5mb though it should be upgraded soon to 2

I tried changing channels on my router (1 - 11) but to no avail. However i disabled the Windows Zero Configuration service by typing 'services.msc' in the run menu, and stopping the process down in the list ( i have to do this every time i reboot). Nevertheless the ping seems to be pretty consent when gaming.

Reply to
deforce

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.