TalkTalk HG635 on VDSL with multiple static IP addresses

hi there

If there's anybody out there using the TalkTalk business service on VDSL with MORE THAN ONE static IP address, then I would be interested to hear from you if you have managed to separate them in any way using the supplied "super" router - which appears to be a Huawei HG635 with custom firmware.

Alternatively, if you fancy having a rant about TalkTalk, Huawei or Openreach, or giving me a lecture about how I don't need the static IP addresses in the first place then maybe you could give this one a miss.

AT

Reply to
Abandoned Trolley
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

Does TalkTalk give out an 8 block (/27) with 6 usable IPs, one of which will be for the router? Or do they do something else?

What do you mean by "separate them"? What are you wanting to do?

Last time I checked, you are a paying customer and can request what ever you want, for what ever reason you want it. Who would try to tell you otherwise or say that you don't need a static IP? It doesn't matter if you need it or not. If you want it and are willing to pay for it, that's sufficient.

Reply to
Grant Taylor

I have separate unix boxes for mail server and web server so I would like different port forwarding rules within the router. I think its either a question of router functionality or .. maybe they have sent me the wrong router. I was hoping that an existing TalkTalk business customer might have trodden this path before.

FWIW I believe its a block of 4 addresses, 2 of which are usable - I am only paying for 2

AT

Reply to
Abandoned Trolley

That would be /29.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

*FACEPALM*

I spend too much time working with /27s at work that this was habitual.

Thank you for the correction Richard.

Now where did I put the towel to wipe the egg off.

Reply to
Grant Taylor

I think you'll find, that as IPV4 space continues to dwindle, many companies are requiring justification for this diminishing resource.

Took me nearly a month to get another Class C block and I own an ISP... _and_ I'm paying for the block. Simply wanting to pay for addresses is not enough reason when plenty of other people will pay for it as well and can demonstrate a need.

Reply to
Johann Beretta

A /27 is 255.255.255.224

That's 32 hosts, not 8.

Reply to
Johann Beretta

Few if any ISP supplied routers seem to recognise in their GUIs that one might have more than one external IP address. Usually it would need command line configuration of the firewall, via telnet or ssh. I gather though that the Talktalk Business router has different firmware from their domestic ones. Searching suggests there are uploadable configurations for the domestic ones to enable ssh access, but it wasn't clear whether they also worked on the business firmware.

You've probably tried already, but does their business support line have sufficient clue to help ? Surely someone else must have asked them how to do this.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

I have a particular reason for not wishing to contact the ISP about this issue for the time being, but ...

I have to say that I am astonished at the difficulty in getting any kind of sensible solution for this

AT

Reply to
Abandoned Trolley

You're making a rod for your own back!

Get a proper ISP and a sensible router - but then you specifically discounted that line of advice in your initial post.

Begs the question - why?

Reply to
Graham J

I am open to any suggestions about any router which will actually do the job ..

AT

Reply to
Abandoned Trolley

Actually, you've also been vague about what "the job" is. You apparently have two servers on which you've configured publicly routable IPs, even though the two servers run completely different services. With what you've provided so far, a single routable IP would be fine and you'd steer traffic based on its destination port. Also, any run of the mill NAT router would then work.

It seems, though, that there might be more to the story. Hence, the "vague" part.

Reply to
Char Jackson

"or giving me a lecture about how I don't need the static IP addresses in the first place then maybe you could give this one a miss" ...

AT

Reply to
Abandoned Trolley

Last time I needed multiple public IPs the routing was done by an old Pentium with a DSL adaptor, running Debian and Shorewall, so apols but I can't help on that one ... Unfortunately the HG635 isn't supported by OpenWRT either (which I am currently getting to grips with to expand the capabilities of my current router) so no help to be had there.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

He does need ONE static IP address, but for what he has described any basic NAT router will be fine.

So we really do need to know why the OP has made these arbitrary restrictions. Otherwise we're going to suggest a big Cisco router running BGP and costing several £1000.

Reply to
Graham J

Thanks for the suggestion, but as you have no idea what I "need" and clearly have no intention of answering the original question I am not sure of the value of your input.

AT

Reply to
Abandoned Trolley

I would be interested to know if OpenWRT provides support for multiple WAN IPs ( preferably via GUI ?) as I have a couple of suitable router hosts. I have tried on the DD-WRT forum but cannot find any clear answers there.

AT

Reply to
Abandoned Trolley

yes it does.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks for that. I had been thinking about it anyway for a wireless bridge, but fixed that problem using DD-WRT. I managed to download the OpenWRT binary and load it in to an old router. Its looking quite promising, although there appears to be a bit of a learning curve :-\

AT

Reply to
Abandoned Trolley

Good luck, hope it gets you somewhere. This link looks as though it may be helpful, although it's confusing that you have to add extra interfaces to your WAN interface. That's not how iptables/nftables does it under the bonnet, it has very little concept of interfaces ...

formatting link
Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.