Speed decreses....

after "upgrading" from a WG614v2 to a WGU624. Any ideas?

I just removed the old drivers and router and installed the new one and its setup files. The farthest pc used to get a very low/low signal, now it gets nothing. The closer pc used to get a low/good signal, now it gets very low/low.

The new router is supposed to have a much broader range. I have a WG511 in the laptop and a WG311 in the desktop. Nothing but the router changed.

Reply to
Chuck
Loading thread data ...

Isnt there a lemon law for wireless routers. If it sits in the same location as the old router then it sounds like it may be a tad bit less effective. One thing I found that helps for my laptop is to put one of the antennas horizontal because most laptop cards antennas are kind of horizontal. The other one is left vertical for my PCI card in another pc.

Reply to
Airhead

I don't know about the WGU624, but the WG614v4 seems to be have better range than my SMC7004WFW did.

The WG511 that I added to my PC at the same time has far better range than the Orinoco silver that I used to have, measured against multiple WAPs.

You might try some parabolas or corner reflectors on the WAP.

formatting link
used the EZ-10 corner reflector, because I had some difficulty forming the parabola, and the EZ-10 was enough gain for me. <
formatting link
>

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.