Radius Server

Hi,

I would like to experiment ( and learn ) using a Radius running on PC.

I would be most grateful if anyone can suggest where I can download a free version of radius to run a windows xp platform.

Also tutorial with it would be most helpful.

Regards

Pete

Reply to
Pete
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

Reply to
nevtxjustin

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

FreeRadius runs on a Linux server. I think he asked for Windoze XP as the RADIUS server.

If you can find a Windoze 2003 server, IAS (Internet Authentication Service) is RADIUS in disguise.

There are numerous commercial and shareware RADIUS servers that Google will find. Most allow a 30 day trial so you can learn by destroying. I haven't found one I like yet, so I won't make any recommendations. I just found one that's free:

Kinda sparce. I haven't tried it so save me some effort and report back how well (or badly) it worked.

One of the headaches is configuring the RADIUS servers. There are plenty of ways to do it wrong (as I've found out the hard way). See: $30 for a RADIUS server testing tool.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yes it is a Windows XP server I am interested in. I would very much like to provide a feedback on TekRADIUS ... but I am really is a very early learning stage that it could be a while before I come back.

I thought I could simply install a radius server and be able to use it ... a bit like plug & play.

Thanks for the feeback.

Reply to
Pete

Pete hath wroth:

It's not as horrible as it sounds. I'm one of those people that just will not read instructions until after I get into trouble. The results are predictable.

TekRADIUS looks about as simple as it gets. However, it does make the assumption that you have an SQL server available, which may be a problem. Read the docs and see if you can handle it:

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like MySQL runs on Windoze:

So much for simple.

Life is not so simple with Windoze Server 2003 IAS. I think I used this guide (not sure but looks familiar):

for my initial installation and setup. I then spent some time digging through the MS troubleshooting guides:

I eventually uninstalled the whole mess, rolled the registry back to before I started, and tried again. It worked.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff

Thats was a prompt response ... I thought the "Windoze Server 2003 IAS" would be a simple to use as it was a Microsoft product ... I guess I can't use this with Windows XP.

Sorry if I sound dump but is "Microsoft SQL Server" and "MySql" the same ?

Reply to
Pete

Jeff

Have you used radius server from the following site ?

formatting link
Thanks

Pete

Sunday 4.56am Looking forward to watching the Brazilian Grand Prix.

Reply to
Pete

Pete hath wroth:

It was an accident. However, don't worry. It won't happen again.

Nope. It requires Windoze Server 2003 which is a different MS product.

No way. MySQL is open source and available for Windoze and Linux. MSSQL is Windoze only and is not free.

Oops. Looks like I haven't been paying attention. That's FreeRadius ported to Windoze. I thought it was Linux only. My appologies for the misinformation. However, note that it still requires an SQL server, in this case MySQL.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Not Jeff but I remember compiling freeradius on a Windows box under Cygwin as a tinkering project and it wasn't stable. Hope you report back on the Win32 version.

Reply to
George

On the bright side you learn more about it, its more fun, and the sky looks more blue.

Reply to
nevtxjustin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.