Seeking advice about covering residential park in Wi-Fi for weekend event

Greetings from Wisconsin,

In late July, our city will be one of a group of host cities for the

2006 MS Tram that brings cyclists through our area as they fundraise for MS research. In 2002, this event brought 1,200 visitors to our city; this year we're expecting at least 1,500.

I have volunteered to cover the park where most of the festivities will be held, including eating areas, bike storage areas, RV parking areas, and camping areas, in good ol' 802.11b/g. This park is in a residential part of town with no businesses within two blocks.

The shape of the park is somewhat trapezoidal, 1350 feet wide on south end, 500 feet wide on the north end, and 900 feet long between the north and south ends. Homes line the south and east sides of the park.

My thoughts to this point have centered around contracting with two homes that have either cable or DSL, preferably cable in this neighborhood, setting up a machine using something like ZoneCD at both locations that throttles the overall connection speed so the home can still use their connection if need be, provides basic logging, i.e. matching MAC to TCP/IP transactions, throttles the individual connection speed to wifi devices, and an SRX access point connected to each machine. Then there would be SRX access points mounted throughout the park that would relay traffic back to the hard-wired SRX access points. Ideally, there should be load-balancing and failover in place.

I've got until mid-June before I really have to start hammering this out and testing it, but since I have plenty of time I'd like to evaluate my options.

Feel free to chime in with your opinions and advice. With my regular participation, I anticipate this thread to be a long-running thread, at least through the end of July. =)

-- Isaac Grover, Owner Quality Computer Services of River Falls, Wisconsin Computer Consulting, Networking, Maintenance, and more. Commercial and Residential Inquiries Welcomed. Web:

formatting link

Reply to
Isaac Grover
Loading thread data ...

Before you get into the logistics start with the preliminaries.

A couple of concerns Amicable negotiations with cable company. Signed contract with cable company.

Reply to
Stop Humpin' My Leg Dawg!!

I agree - most cable companies won't generally allow a homeowner share their connection at the residential rate (though they likely have a business rate that does permit it), but for a cause like MS, they're highly unlikely to have a problem, so start with getting the cable co. involved. You may end up with a far superior service for less effort than you planned - if they cable co. sees an upside to their involvement.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Thanks for the advice. I'll give them a call to see what we can negotiate.

Isaac Grover, Owner

Reply to
Isaac Grover

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.