Revive a non-working WRT54G ver. 1?

I have an old Linksys WRT54G ver. 1 that we used in NY but could not get to work in MI. I assumed that it had not survived the trip in the moving van -- especially since somebody had dropped the box in which it was packed -- so I bought a replacement, which happened to be a ver. 1.1 and has worked fine.

I am now wondering, however, whether there is any way of reviving the old one and using it as a repeater/extender. I read the instructions at

formatting link
but the simple reset procedure does nothing: I am still unable to ping

The more advanced procedure deals with a ver. 1.1, which has a plainly marked Intel Flash memory chip, but mine has no chip like this or anything else I can identify as a Flash memory chip.

The thing is not completely dead: the lights all do what is expected, and when it is powered up it is detected as an additional wireless AP with SSID "linksys" -- which is certainly not what I had it set to, so it does seem to have been reset up to a point.

Suggestions? Has anyone done the pin-shorting trick on a ver. 1?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy
Loading thread data ...

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in news:alUbf.2535$ snipped-for-privacy@fe06.lga:

Check the warranty on this device; many mfr's give three years or more, even lifetime(!) warranty. I recently claimed on a 2.5 year failed router and received a brand new latest-model replacement at no cost.

Reply to
McSpreader

I had tried the reset procedure many times over and was still unable to access the built-in server or even to ping 192.168.1.1.

Last night I left a portscanner running on it, and this morning found that it had pinged 192.168.1.1 successfully and had found the http server there. I was then able to access the innards from the browser, so now all seems to be OK.

BTW, it would certainly be out of warranty by now, but I might have been able to get it replaced under warranty two years ago right after we moved and I was unable to get it to work.

Now I just thought of another thing: I see that there was a large increase in CPU speed between the ver. 1.x models and the later ones. So do the later ones perform better?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I had the same thing happen to one that I turned into a "brick". I did the NVRAM shorting trick, but ping did not return anything. I left it on for a few hours, came back, did nothing, and it worked. Maybe waiting for the filaments to warm up.

The 1.x models are 125Mhz CPU's. The later ones are 200MHz. See: |

formatting link
a comparison chart. I have a V1.1 and several V3 models. The V1.1 model will drop packets if I have a substantial number of filter rules, MAC filters, IP filters, SNMP, PPPT, etc, and am running encryption (using Sveasoft Alchemy). Basically, when I'm using all the features simultaneously. This was noticed at the slowest WAN speeds of about 1.5Mbits/sec. The V3 models don't seem to have this problem. My V1.1 model also has a rather deaf radio, but that may be due to my tinkering. Other than that, I haven't seen much difference between the V1.1 and V3 units.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.